Having a hard time with pre bariatric diet. what's best protein shake?

Jen H.
on 6/24/15 6:07 am - Davie, FL
RNY on 09/09/14

I love Jay Robb whey protein powder. Much prefer mixing my own to pre-packaged.  I keep a good selection of SF Torani flavors on hand for different tastes and often throw some PB2 in with the chocolate powder.

goddesscait
on 7/2/15 10:28 am

I had good luck with Ultramet regular by Champion Nutrition.  The vanilla has 42 grams of protein, and the chocolate has 41 grams.  These were the ones I had to purchase from my surgeon prior to my VSG.  I bought some for after the surgery and continue to have one every other day.  I use about 12 oz ice water and also throw a handful of ice cubes into the blender.  It makes a thick shake that now takes me a while to get down because of he volume.  The taste is pretty good, and I like it a whole lot better than the Nectar shakes.  Good luck to you!

robinreinhardt
on 7/2/15 12:07 pm

I like the whey isolate Unjury. I am 6 months out and still have them 3 x a day because I am a picky eater. Had a blood test and all my labs came back perfect. Good luck on your 6 month diet. It will be worth it.

Robin

Queen JB
on 7/4/15 11:49 am
RNY on 07/20/15

When I was banded in 2009, I did a preop diet that included Protein Shakes and I hated them all. Anything I could make myself was infinatley better than something pre-mixed, but still, I hated them...

But (and I know this sounds strange) after surgery, my taste changed and I was able to tolerate and even *like* a few of them! NECTAR and UNJURY are still my best picks, and I still don't like pre-mixed ones, but everything is at least tolerable after surgery. 

So if you don't have to start them yet, don't...go onto some bariatric websites and find some better dinner recipes! There should be a million choices and flavors to meet the nutritional goals your doctor has given. Get creative and lay off the shakes until you have to!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

jamrodriguez
on 7/20/15 11:38 pm

I wouldn't go too deep into a liquid diet too fast because you're surely going to get sick of them fast. I actually started out by replacing one meal a day with a fruit/veggie/protein smoothie. Then about a couple months out I started really getting into using protein shakes to supplement my meals. I'm now 9 days pre-op and almost on a full liquid diet (having plain chicken or tuna one meal a day). I only like to drink the pre-mixed protein when I need to grab and go. I keep my work fridge stocked with Premier Protein (the chocolate and strawberry aren't bad), but at home I would rather mix it myself so I can add flavors or blend it up with ice and almond milk. I love Nectar... so far I have tried the Vanilla Torte and Caribbean Cooler and I love both. I have also tried ISO100 in Birthday Cake flavor and it's really sweet but not bad. Isopure Zero Carb is really high quality protein and makes me super full, but tastes awful on its own with water. I like to use that one in the blender with PB2 and almond milk and a little Stevia and ice and it makes a great peanut butter cup shake. I definitely recommend investing in a good blender (I love my NutriBullet to death) and/or a couple of good Blender Bottles. And most importantly keep reminding yourself that what you're going through is going to be so worth it!!!

Most Active