portion sizes

bubbles23223
on 3/22/15 10:57 am - Canada

I found since I've started using chopsticks when eating I've really slowed down my intake.  Also I am paying more attention to portion sizes.  I have some homework to do still, in preparation for bariatrics.  I'm using natural health remedies like cous-cous, bulgar wheat, quinoa, and psyillium husk when I dont want to eat meat.  What are the protein shakes made of?  Are they difficult going down?  Does it make life hard for those in bariatrics for the time they are drinking protien shakes with concentration, focus, and controlling emotions?

molfish62
on 3/22/15 2:56 pm, edited 3/22/15 2:56 pm
VSG on 03/07/15

Im not far out from surgery at all, so take this for what it's worth.

Sometimes I have trouble with protein shakes, but it was worse before surgery when I was trying them. I hate vanilla protein powder - every type I've tried - which surprises me. I can stomach the Bariatric Advantage chocolate & Ive ordered some Nectar (two flavors, can't remember which), which I've heard is good. Once I hit puréed food, I had no trouble keeping down chicken or lean beef or eggs, so between meat & Greek yogurt I've managed to get my 60g without too many protein shakes. I do a small one each day & a larger one in the evening if I'm low on protein. I try not to be low on protein because I find my stomach turning after half a 12oz shake/drink. 

Molly

VSG on 3/7/15. 

Add me on myfitnesspal: molfish6 

bubbles23223
on 3/22/15 3:09 pm - Canada

Thank you.  Good luck.  

Work for a cause, not for applause.  Live life to express, not too impress.Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.-Unknown

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/23/15 8:51 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I still drink protein shakes but I limit them to 1 a day, the shake I like is Chike which is protein coffee & I make it with soy milk. The rest comes from dense protein & the occasional protein bar.

Eating with chopsticks sounds like a good idea!, it makes you slow down & concentrate on what you're eating. Have you tried Chia seeds?, it turns into a gel when you mix it with your food to help fill you up.

Try not to dedicate yourself to a tub in regards to protein shakes because sometimes tastes change after surgery. Stick with sample sizes to see what you like after surgery. Some of these tubs is way expensive!

The head thing/emotional stuff is a separate issue & it varies with everyone in how they deal with it.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

bubbles23223
on 3/23/15 9:11 am - Canada

I have read in the other forum that you're six months post Op?  Thats amazing!  You must feel great, having it done and over with.  I get excited thinking about loosing weight, and dedicating myself to the program is what counts.  I also get anxious in and around the build up leading up to the appointments.  I have my homework underway, and I'm starting to save money for the protien shakes, and vitamin supplements.

Work for a cause, not for applause.  Live life to express, not too impress.Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt.-Unknown

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/23/15 9:14 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Oh no, I'm about 11 months post op, my surgiversary is at the end of next month. Oh yes, you will be in for quite a ride!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Modest_Phoenix
on 3/23/15 6:02 pm

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html   Here's a way to try different brands and flavors before committing to a big container of something.  Consider  unflavored protein powder too so you can add it to foods/flavors you already know you like.  Unflavored doesn't mean there isn't a taste, it's just not flavored with anything. The taste is hard to describe. 

Highest weight 208 in 2008 ** VSG 11/27/15 weight 193 ** Current weight 128 ** Goal weight range 100 -110 ** Height - 4'11" ** Age - 49

bubbles23223
on 3/23/15 8:13 pm - Canada

I am writing down all of the advice I am recieving On this website.  Good morning.  The flavours are good to know, although, in my personality, I need to be trying to do something simple with the protien.  What I am hearing here is that its better to order or pick up and try the protien first to decide what flavour best suits me?  I am leaning toward sticking to chocolate, maybe trying a new flavour called Nectar.  Im not one to need lots of variety, so I say now, but you never know!  I am going to hand in my homework when its completed, and try to focus on the Natural Food groups that are giving me higher iron, and helping my digestive.  I find when flax seed is ground it goes down a bit better then the seed based Flax.  I add it to a hot beverage.  And for oral and vocal health, I've added holista Oregano Oil, 4 eye droplets in a cup of black tea is good for me.  Then as Spring takes over, changing tea flavours, I drink organic decaffeinated tea adding honey to throat coat.  Broccoli and green vegetables to oxygenate.  I will be on multi vitamins for life after the R-En-Y to replace a lot of the natural health food groups and vegetables, even organic grains my body probably can't handle as well post op.  Although vitamins are different to process.  Its a life dependency at that point for me I would think, as I currently prefer eating vegetables and fruit, type.  The protien shakes I know, will already take a lot of effort too go down.  I am respectful of just that.

zann50
on 3/24/15 4:39 am

do some research on flaxseed...as i understand, there is not any benefit to the whole seed.  it needs to be crushed before ingesting.  i switched to flaxseed oil in ?? gel form??   it  sounds as though you are on a healthy way of living.  very encouraging

Zann

VGS- 2015

Most Active