What Vitamins Need to be tracked after Band Surgery?

JayC
on 3/3/15 2:01 am - Alexandria, VA

Ok, so the subject says it all. I'm not considering myself successful by any means, mostly because a lack of insurance for years has not allowed me to get fills. Now I'm past that hurdle, and found a new surgeon to give me fills, but when I ask about doing blood work for monitoring vitamins, he's referring me to my GP. This is NOT giving me a warm and fuzzy about this guy, but he's close and can do fills. So in the mean time, can anyone give me a list of vitamins/minerals that I need my GP to have my blood analyzed for?

Thank you SO much!

tv73841
on 5/18/15 5:08 am

It sounds to me like you've had the lap-band procedure done? First, you can get back on track. Don't lose hope. :) I'd recommend you take a high quality multivitamin to keep your labs in ideal ranges. I'm a lap band patient as well, and I take Vita4Life Mini Multivitamin. My labs have always come back spot on. It's very lap band friendly and you don't need to worry about it getting stuck. If you are concerned, you can always open the capsule and put the powder in yogurt or something, but it's really never been necessary for me. These are what I take and my surgeon recommends them. http://www.amazon.com/Vita4life-Bariatric-Multivitamins-Comp rehensive-Multi-vitamin/dp/B008A0ML4K/

These are the tests he orders once a year. Complete bood count (CBC), alanine aminotransferase (ALT), albumin, alkaline phosphatase, aspartate aminotransferase (AST), calcium, cholesterol panel, direct and total bilirubin, electrolytes, fasting glucose, ferritin, folate, hemoglobin A1c, iron saturation and transferring, magnesium, phosphorus, total protein and vitamin B12, thiamine and vitamin D. I hope this helps!

JayC
on 5/20/15 12:13 pm - Alexandria, VA

Thanks so much for your reply, and my apology for my late reply. I do have a band multi vitamin that I'm taking. Due to a lack of insurance, I wasn't getting my labs or fills done. I have a new doctor that gave me two fills, and when I asked about doing blood testing, he told me my regular Dr. could do that. Obviously, this guy was only interested in the billing, and not my health, so I ditched him after two fills. Thanks again for your reply and I'll give this to my regular Dr. to have those checked.

Most Active