I am dying for a salad

lo_ri_p
on 12/22/14 9:37 am - Ocala, FL

I am almost 3 weeks postop VSG   When can I have a salad?  I don't really see veggies on my meal plan.  I love them and I know I need more fiber. Can any one give me an idea?

roseygirl
on 12/23/14 1:30 pm

I was given the okay at 3 months and prior to that could have cooled veggies at 2 weeks out.

VSG Surgery 10/02/14

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

lo_ri_p
on 12/23/14 7:56 pm - Ocala, FL

That's what I thought but I had to ask. I am just getting tired of baby food veggies.  I am house sitting while my parents are out of town and she has a whole head of lettuce a tomato and a cucumber.  I hate to just hate to watch them rot away. Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 12/26/14 11:18 am

I am just preop and learning all I can right now. Is there a reason behind using baby food veggies vs mashing fresh cooked ones?

lo_ri_p
on 12/26/14 11:13 pm - Ocala, FL

Because your stomach is staple (I assume that's what they all do) it has to heal. It is less work for your stomach to digest liquids and pureed foods than chunks of meat even if you do chew it well.  Plus there is also swelling so anything bigger would not fit through.  And if it does not go through it comes back up, more trauma for your stomach.

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/14 12:01 am

I understand that part.  What I meant was, is there a reason to use baby food instead of making your own pureed food?  I assume it is just easier?  Or doctor recommended?  

VSG on 06/12/13

Convenience, I suppose. My plan simply called for pureed food, not baby food specifically. I made a lot of my own based on what I fixed for my family.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

(deactivated member)
on 12/27/14 1:11 am

Got it.  Thanks.  

Gwen M.
on 12/29/14 2:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I just pureed regular cooked veggies.  I think I ate my first raw veggies, in the form of salsa, around 5 weeks post-op.  I didn't have my first salad until much later, though.  Veggies, especially raw ones, take up a lot of precious stomach space.  But once or twice a month I'm willing to make the exception!  

Last night I made chef salads for dinner.  Mine was mainly cheese, chicken, bacon, and hard boiled egg, but I added a few pieces of tomato, onion, and lettuce ;)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Chilipepper
on 12/27/14 1:27 am

Baby foods are for babies. I cringe when I see that it is on a persons postop meal plan. That cucumber is mostly water and not a gassy food.  There is no reason you can't have that when you are finished your stages.  I would t eat raw veggies like carrots or broccoli but a little cucumber salad with vinegar.  

Your nutritional needs are different than that of a small child. Please take the time to prepare your meals and not depend on little jars of crap. The nutritionist who developed that plan should be ashamed. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active