Craving Sweets - Advice, tips, & help please!

JaneSleever2014
on 5/18/14 10:33 am
VSG on 02/05/14

I'm 4 months post op VSG and I have a much higher craving for sweets than I did before. 

My doctor advised most patients post op cannot tolerate, let alone want, sweets. So he was a bit surprised to hear this is my one of my biggest struggles. 

Anyone else experience this?  I know this is a slippery slope and I do not want to jeopardize my success. I appreciate any advice on how to curb this. (I know sugar is evil and I'm so upset I'm craving it now!) 

Ladies- anyone experience a link between to cravings and menstration post op that wasn't present before? 

Thank you, team!

Daring_Diva
on 5/18/14 10:47 am

My surgeon said the same thing to me.  However, my surgery is scheduled for June 4th.  Besides sugar craving, has your hunger subsided any since surgery?

JaneSleever2014
on 5/18/14 10:58 am
VSG on 02/05/14

My hunger has not returned. I do know the distinct difference between true hunger and "head hunger" since the surgery. It is a very powerful knowledge - learn from it and you'll be good.

I'm dealing with "head hunger" more then anything. Also, a part of the "hunger" is yearning to blend and appear normal at lunch and dinner functions. As no one knows of my surgery, meals and social functions can be difficult for me. You have to address the psychological reasons for obesity of you want to be successful! 

I haven't craved or experienced hunger until this week. And for me it's sweets, so I'm convinced this is more of my psychological journey than my physical journey for a healthy lifestyle... but I need help navigating through these rough waters. 

Recognizing when you're on a slippery slope and addressing it will also be important long term post op.

momjan
on 5/25/14 2:43 pm - Canada

Try upping your protein grams; I find if they are high I don`t crave the sweets.

Most Active