DIY pre-op liquid diet?

Spacemonkeyham
on 5/12/14 2:34 pm - Canada

Hi, I'm in Canada and my surgery is scheduled for June 18th and I will be starting my pre-op liquid diet in a week. Has anyone made their own liquid diet without pre-made shakes? I would really like to be able to have some plain herbal tea or clear broth, along with some organic protein powder in a smoothie or fresh veggie juice (low sugar). I'm still waiting to hear back from the dietitian, but I'm almost positive she'll say the shakes are my only option. My family Dr says that as long as we find out the exact nutritional requirements, we should be able to come up with a less awful option. Has anyone done this successfully?

townson45
on 5/25/14 5:46 am - Canada

I have been making my own shakes using 1.5 scoops of egg protein powder, 3 TBSP ground hemp hearts, 1/4 C of frozen blueberries and raspberries.  I find it quite filling.  HT

Spacemonkeyham
on 5/25/14 12:59 pm - Canada

Thanks, the dietitian said no, but I will talk to my GP about it this week. Was this recipe approved by your Dr or Surgeon? I am hoping to build a case for something more natural. I would prefer not to have to drink the Boost or Glucerna Diabetic versions they are recommending; they are full of chemicals and artificial sweeteners. 

townson45
on 5/25/14 8:52 pm - Canada

what does that mean the dietician said no?  I know this shake might not have all the necessary vitamins and minerals but it is only for a few weeks and it is way more natural than drinking a shake full of "chemicals and artificial sweeteners".  It gives me way more than enough protein and gives me some good low glycemic carbs.  I told my Dr. what i was doing and he was ok with it.  I wish you the best.

Spacemonkeyham
on 5/26/14 2:34 am - Canada

When I asked the dietitian (who is part of my surgeon's bariatric program) if I could make my own shakes/ liquid meal replacements, she said no. But I will talk to my family Dr. tomorrow and see what she says. It looks like lots of other people have made their own shakes too. You're right, it's only for a few weeks. I can always take a multivitamin too. Thanks!

Nikki

Vancouver, BC. Canada

VSG  coming up June 18, 2014

townson45
on 6/11/14 5:25 am - Canada

Nikki, i just had my surgery and my doctor said my liver was fine.  i think dieticians / nutritionists are a little territorial when it comes to their profession.  One day we will wake up and realize we can survive fine without them.  There are good supplements out there that make their advice pointless.

Most Active