Vitamin B12

elizlove
on 4/4/14 5:00 am - Duluth, MN

It's been 7 years since my rouyen Y surgery.  I am 49 years old and have lost 130 lbs and I have kept the weight off, however, I have been extremely tired, depressed, have memory loss, fatigue, dizziness, blurry vision, and a lot of joint paint.  I had gone to bariatic surgeon that did my surgery a week ago and had blood tests run.  The only problem was somewhat low levels was my vitamin D, a 28, and Dr gave me prescription of 50,000 mg a week for 8 weeks.  All other  blood tests were also in normal range. I have also had a physical with my primary Dr also and she had said overall I am pretty healthy.  I have a question about B12.  The Dr. had run a blood test for Folate and the level was in normal range, however, no B12 blood test was done.  Are they the same thing?  Should I be concerned and/or should I have some kind of blood test for vitamin B12 levels?  I am concerned low vitamin B12 might be contributing to some of my problems I am having. I would really appreciate any advise or feed back.  Thanx!

Jessica285
on 4/10/14 11:59 pm - UT

Vitamin D deficiency can cause the fatigue, muscle and joint pain, memory fog, etc.  Studies have show that everyone can benefit from Vitamin D supplements. Due to the fact that we use sunscreen, our windows are UV protected, along with all the other sun 'protections' we have in our lives today... and the fact that it is very difficult to get adequate vitamin D through food sources, they say everyone should supplement vitamin D.  Take the8 week prescription and hopefully, you will start to feel a difference, but I would highly recommend continuing with an over the counter supplement after that.  The studies I've researched state that adults can safely take up to 4,000 iu daily, and those over the age of 50 can take 5,000 iu daily.

As for B Vitamins, I thought they were tested as part of a regular CBC. Don't be afraid to question your doctors.  Especially if you are dealing with primary care doctors and not bariatric surgeons.  What is normal for someone who has not undergone bariatric surgery, is NOT normal for those of us who have.  Running on the 'low end' of normal is risky for us.  If we are on the low end of normal, it is often best for us to try to raise our levels.  I had my original surgery in 2009 (RNY), then due to numerous complications, ended up with a small gastric sleeve and none of my original stomach.   I take Soloray high energy once daily multi, 1000 mg Vit C, Potasium, Magnesium, Biotin, Zinc, B injections, 50,000 iu Vit D, and I just tested below range for Iron, so I have to see what to do for that one.

Best wishes to you.  :)

Highest: 297 lbs/Lowest 127 lbs/Maintaining at 140-145 lbs

RNY Nov 2009/Perforated Ulcers Jan 2010/Revised to modified VSG Dec 2011      

Chelle_LMT
on 4/17/14 6:22 pm - Crest Hill, IL
with

I had RNY in 5/2006 and quite honestly I do not recall any tests for B12 just remember being told that absorption is a good and bad thing because although we are not absorbing the bad stuff that was contributing to our overweight we also are not getting some of the nutrients that we need.  I take iron vitamins and also a 1000mcg shot of B12 every month.  This helps with my fatigue, tiredness, and just plain exhaustion.  I know when my shot is due within a cpl days from it cuz I start to feel run down.  I know they checked my hemoglobin levels and they were low, but that also may have been from the low iron.  You may want them to check that too, anemia can be an issue from having WLS.  And anemia can create some of the symptoms that you are also feeling.  Hope that helps ya a bit :-)

tv73841
on 4/13/15 10:54 pm

Low vitamin B-12 can cause fatigue, weakness, memory loss. Consider vitamin b 12 sublingual to avoid these problems.

Most Active