Cravings after protein shakes

lara86
on 2/20/14 5:21 am - Canada

So I'm now 1 week post op RNY and just started drinking my protein shakes yesterday so today I've been craving everything basically... And I'm so hungry. I have been doing very well on my clear liquid diet up until I started drinking my shakes.has this happened to anyone before?

(deactivated member)
on 2/21/14 3:18 pm - Finland

Yes. Ever tried those protein bars at a gym? It's the same thing. Sodas also do this. And if I buy marinated chicken from the store I eat the whole package  I've learned that some foods make you hungry, others make you full. Unfortunately, anything you don't cook (FROM SCRATCH) at home tends to be the former kind...there's something they put in them to make your system go all wonky. I prefer to avoid those kinds of foods, and when I decide to have a bite I accept the fact that I'm about to take a ride on the roller coaster again.

Though, if you have a prescribed diet then you should do your best to abide by it. Find your own way after...

gerdiedolan5250
on 3/3/14 4:32 am

A couple of things. First you are going through a detox so everything in your body wants what it can't have. It's also mental most cravings come from the brain and lastly during my shakes I craved as we'll but you mostly are hungry during shakes because you are not chewing. It is genetic and scientific that if you are not chewing you're not eating so you will feel like that for a while!

lara86
on 3/3/14 6:49 am - Canada

Thanks for all your replies. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Most Active