Weight loss before approval

Stephanie1970
on 11/18/13 1:22 am - Mesa, AZ

I am RIGHT at 39-40 BMI according to MY scale.  What happens with insurance (like will I be denied immediately) if I lose weight BEFORE surgery (if it gets that far - I am meeting with my family doctor this week to ask for a referral to the surgery center I had the information session at this past weekend) if I lose weight before the surgery??  I know that they put you on a medically supervised diet during the process......

I KNOW I can lose 20lbs - I have lost more and always gained it back....So should I even get my hopes up?

Rebecca1966
on 11/29/13 2:54 am - OK
VSG on 11/21/13

I had the same concern.  My doctor said it's the BMI BEFORE you undergo the medically supervised diet.  BTW, my medically supervised diet consisted of replacing breakfast with a protein shake and cutting out candy.  I cut out the protein shake but wasn't so successful with the candy. My point being, the medically supervised diet wasn't so supervised and wasn't very strict.  Others have a different experience.

(deactivated member)
on 12/18/13 4:14 pm

I have had a similar experience to what you have. Candy is tough to cut out. I honestly had to find a replacement for the candy and chose snack bars and some fruit twist tubes. Both were very health though. The protein shake instead of breakfast was tough too. I normally had a banana and toast and cereal or something like eggs. The switch was mix a banana in with my protein shake. I did it with both chocolate and vanilla and the chocolate tasted better to me. If you would like the links to what I replaced the candy with and the protein shakes I took, I can give them to you. The shakes weren't grainy or clumpy or anything which was a plus. Tasted like chocolate milk as well which made it real easy to drink. Just send me a message and I'll give you the links if you are interested.

Most Active