Carbs On Food Labels

Ms_J
on 11/17/13 7:45 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 11/20/13

What does this mean on a food label?

Total Carbohydrate   2g

Dietary fiber    0g

Sugar   0g

The ingredients on the package doesn't list any sugar alcohols, so I'm wondering where these two carbs are coming from and how do I count them (do I count the, as a sugar carb or just disregard them altogether).

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/20/13 5:50 am

NO , you can't ignore the carbs,  The may come from fillers, or glycerin, or starches.. or veggies,... etc. 

Sugars - are the most simple carbs - that do not need digestion and can be absorbed staring in you mouth.  The other form of carbs - are starches or fiber (not in this product). Starches - or more complex carbs  may be (but not always the case) absorb slower and may not cause a very rapid blood sugar spike in most people. 

I.e. potatoes do not have sugars - but the starches in cooked potatoes can be turn into sugar very fast- and get absorb into our blood stream causing BS spike. 

Some people completely ignore - do not count any fiber - but a lot of us - are able to digest and absorb some of them like any other complex carbs. (I know I do with some so called "fiber") and never can subtract fiber from total carbs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

hollykim
on 11/21/13 10:10 am, edited 11/25/13 9:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

this is when you have to look at the ingredient list. Somewhere in there,there is an ingredient that has 2 carbs,you just have to find it.

then it. Means 2 carbs per serving and a serving can be as small as a teaspoon so you have to measure how many servings of said product ou ate and multiply by 2 to get the total amount of carbs you consumed.

GL

Most Active