Warm foods

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/13 12:08 am - Canada

Lately I'm having trouble eating properly.  Some of it is that I've given up because I'm sick of waiting for my surgery and having them change the date really upset me.  I'm fighting against that and trying to put together a shopping list so I can get back on track.  The weather has changed her and it's been really cold.  I am just not wanting the foods that I was eating before when I was sticking to the diet my clinic put me on.  My typical day was:

Breakfast: 2/3 C of no-fat greek yogurt & 1/3 C of frozen mixed berries

Snack: Apple & Peanut Butter

Lunch: can of tuna, 2 tbsp of no-fat mircle whip

Snack: fruit or veg

Dinner: 4-5 oz of lean meat & veg

Snack: fruit/protein combo

I felt very satisfied when I followed this but now with the cold weather I just don't want cold meals.  I'm reaching for toast in the morning and soups and sandwiches in the afternoon.  Neither which are making me feel less hungry or helping me lose weight.  I usually eat my breakfast in the car or once I get to work as I have a long commute and am not a morning person (I won't get up and cook a meal).

Does anyone have any suggestions for breakfasts (and lunches) that would be warm, high protein and satisfying to get me though this freezing winter?

Thank you,

Dfwlady
on 11/15/13 7:21 pm

Try carnation instant breakfast. You can heat it like hot chocolate. 

healthy-rickfan1971
on 11/30/13 10:34 pm

I am 15 months out from RNY myself. I just have a Light and Fit Greek yogurt for breakfast out of habit, because it gets me going in the day with 12 grams of protein that I don't have to sit and decide on. But for my morning "snack" at times I want something warm. I just use a packet of "plain" or "original" oatmeal. The packets are only around 100 calories. I make it with 2/3 cup light vanilla Silk milk and it boosts the protein up. Some days I also sprinkle cinnamon on it for a change of flavor. Some people like to use their morning oatmeal to put their protein powder in for extra boost of protein. that does make the total calories go up for the dish. But it saves one from having to mix up a shake later in the day.

(deactivated member)
on 12/1/13 12:01 am - Canada

Thank you!  It's all such a learning process!

band2sleeverevision
on 12/11/13 7:21 am
VSG on 02/25/13

Protein coffee?

I like the Unjury chicken soup....it comes in single serving packets.  You could have that before one of your snacks or with lunch. I've added cooked veggies to it before to make chicken vegetable soup.

I have heard of people cooking omelets in the morning and wrapping them in foil like a sandwich wrap to eat in the car.

I sometimes make myself a little tuna "casserole"....mix tuna with cottage cheese, seasonings, onion, celery and some shredded cheddar cheese and microwave.  I sometimes put some salsa in there as well.

Chili (homemade with just a few beans) works well too....

Most Active