Is anybody..DSer's in particular..having calcium struggles?

JazzyOne9254
on 8/8/13 1:31 am

I have been struggling with calcium out of the gate since my DS in 2009. 

At 6 months out, I had high PTH, which indicates low blood calcium, and means that your parathyroids have signaled the body to pull calcium from your bones.  I was diagnosed with osteopenia six months ago, and I have taken the steps below

I take Calcium Citrate with D(3000mg daily), Magnesium Citrate(1000mg daily) and Dry Vitamin D (50,000IU twice daily) as I also had a Vitamin D deficiency with my last labs.  I am also working on a Zinc deficiency, with 200mg Zinc daily. 

There is only one time in my 4.5 years post-op that I got my PTH within normal limits, at 72, which is the very last normal range value at my lab.

Anmyone else having calcium issues?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Member Services
on 8/9/13 2:36 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Jazzy,

We are sorry to hear all you are going through.  Did you post this on the DS forum?  Stay on top of your follow up test and we hope your supplement program will help.  If not, there are other options to take.  We have heard of Forteo shots for the loss of bone, if this does not work talk to your surgeon/PCP about it.

We did a search on this topic and found the following for you

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=ds%2C+ calcium&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=FORID%3A9

Amy W.
on 10/21/13 3:38 am - Buckeye, AZ
Yep! Last October my PTH levels were double what they should be. I lost my insurance in June so I can't check them again until my insurance starts in January. My vitamin D was low too. I can't wait to get blood tests again so I can see where I'm at now (to tweak my vitamins based on what I'm low in). :/

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Most Active