Gluten intolerance or Celiac after weight loss surgery

-brandy-
on 2/19/13 2:53 am - Clinton, MO
Any thoughts on this? I had rny in 2008 and am having a lot of symptoms that I think may be related to gluten in my diet. I've read a couple articles that suggested there may be a link between the two.

10 MORE POUNDS TILL MY MASSAGE!!!

Sarahlicious
on 3/24/13 1:16 pm - Portsmouth, OH

I had RNY in 2003, and was dx'd with IBS 5 years ago but recently linking some other symptoms like skin rash with possible Celiac so I have an appointment to get further testing. From what I'm read is it's possible we were Celiac before, and surgery might have just prompted us to become more symptomatic. Reading more, I can see symptoms back into childhood.

I have Lipedema and Lymphedema. I also have a passion for Obesity and Health Insurance Advocacy

Blog: born2lbfat.com Facebook: Born2lbFat Twitter: @born2lbfat

Tiffie
on 7/6/16 2:59 pm

I have not had surgery, I came upon this site looking for feedback from others who have had bariatric surgery, as it was suggested to a family member. I saw you post about gluten, and know from experience, the effects gluten has on a person's gut. 

I've been overweight most of my adult life, and battle with IBS, a peptic ulcer, and gallbladder issues. A few years ago I lost about 95 pounds, and started noticing how different foods made me nauseous, and bloated. After reading a book called Grain Brain, by Dr. David Outputted, I went gluten free. After 15 days free of gluten, my body felt great. I have a few health issues that cause pain, and I was taking naproxen everyday, now that I'm gluten free, I don't take anything for pain, I don't feel bloated after eating, and my IBS is under control. I buy my vitamins at GNC because they make gluten free vitamins, but I'm sure that other companies make gluten free vitamins now. 

I've read that gluten has inflammatory properties, and from what I've experienced, I believe that is true. I have been tested for Celiac disease, and don't have it, but my doc is pretty sure I have some intolerance to it. There is a test that checks something like 22 types of gluten intolerances.     I do hope this little bit of information helps, check your library, they may have the book mentioned above, or can interlibrary borrow it for you, it has a ton of great info about the affects of gluten.  You might also find two very wonderful gluten free cookbooks that have amazingly tasty AND healthy.

Wishing you the best, in all that you do ? ! 

Most Active