soup review

caitlinsocial
on 11/12/12 7:05 am

Hi All,

I just completed week one of my two week Pre Op all liquid diet. So needless to say I have sampled a lot of creamed soups. I thought I would post a review of some of the ones I have tried so far. Seeing as I have three more weeks of soup ahead of me I thought I would share and If anyone has any suggestions, please share.

Next week I will be reviewing more Imagine and Pacific brand soups.

Trader Joes

Roasted Red Pepper Tomato – Tastes amazing! I could eat this all day but gives me heartburn so I try to keep to a minimum. Good for Italian cravings.

Latin Black Bean- Tastes great! This has just the right amount of spice. The nice thing about this soup is that it has a good amount of fiber to keep you full a little longer. Fulfills Mexican or southwestern food cravings.

Corn and Pepper – Very flavorful and spicy. The spice slows me down so I don’t drink it as fast. Fulfills Mexican or southwestern food cravings.

Sweet potato bisque- bland! I added some cinnamon and cayenne pepper, which definitely helps.  The plus side of this soup, sweet potatoes are high in potassium. I drank this after I noticed my eye was twitching (can mean a potassium deficit). Southern or comfort cravings.

Butternut squash soup- very bland. I noticed that this soup also had a little sourness to it, which I was not a fan of. I added some cumin and yellow curry powder, which helped. Good for thanksgiving.

Carrot Ginger- Solid soup nothing stand out. Good for a person who wants something new but doesn’t want to go too far out of their comfort zone. Could be seasoned many different ways.

Imagine (found at Sprouts if you live in So Cal)

Corn and lemongrass- Tasty! Great if you are craving some Asian flavors.

Potato leek- Tastes like thick water! I had to add some garlic salt and pepper but it still tasted bland. If your body is rejecting everything I would try this because it is so mild.

Pacific (found at Sprouts if you live in So Cal)

Soup starters PHO- If you like a nice Asian broth with a little sweetness, this is the way to go. I did find it a little strong and will probably add some water next time. High in sodium.  Asian Cravings

Campbells

Cream of Potato- Well flavored, but I only have as a treat because it is higher calories and the MSG gives me a headache. It has chunks of potato in it. I had to use my immersion blender to make it smooth.  Junk food or comfort food cravings. 

LinR
on 11/27/12 7:27 am

Thks for the review.  There are some on this list I am going to try

carrien
on 11/29/12 1:37 pm - Eagle Mountain, UT
Those sound delicious. Trader Joes just opened its first store in Utah and it is an hour away. Sounds like it would be worth the trip. I am one week away from surgery and am preparing all my liquid options!
mvickyway
on 2/17/13 12:21 am - NV
Nice reviews! I have the trader Joe's black bean, butternut squash, and sweet potato and will use your suggestions. Very much want to try the red pepper next time I return will buy some. I Also bought tomato Bacon garlic from Walmart and looking forward to trying that. I am currently on clears only pre op and set for surgery on Feb20th so it will be a while before I can try these
Leanda
on 2/22/13 3:28 am

Hi,

I love TJ's Tomato and Red Pepper soup.  It is my favorite and I think better than all the other soups you mentioned.  Try it and I think you will agree.  Enjoy! 

stella01
on 2/25/13 2:36 pm - MD

Hi,

I’m so glad and honored to be featured here! I also like tomato soup so much.

thanks

Most Active