Cupcakes???? Seriously???

Joy L.
on 10/12/12 3:32 am, edited 10/31/12 9:47 am - Lawrenceville, GA

I had surgery back in June of 2008 and lost 157 lbs.  I gained back 50 lbs. following the death of my oldest son in December 2010.  I am back-on-track with the help of the BRC Back-on-Track program.  I'm measuring everything, counting carbs (or the lack thereof), exercising, etc. and have lost about 12 lbs.

I have been married to a great guy for 32 years.  He is the love of my life but last night I could have hurt him.  He arrives home with one of those cupcakes that take up a small box.  You know the one, the icing is taller than the cupcake - I think they call them "gourmet" cupcakes.

Now keep in mind, just because I had RNY doesn't mean everyone has to eat like I do but he told me "I brought you home something" and slowly opened the box. I quickly realized what it was and said "Cupcakes?  Seriously?  Are you kidding me?"  He looked at me with a blank expression...you know the one that says "gee, what's wrong".  He began to tell me how I can have an occassional treat.  I used this as an educational moment to explain carb cravings vs. low carb diet and how a cupcake is NOT alright.  I have told him time again that if I eat carbs the monster awakens and I begin to crave them and act like some deranged person eating everything in sight.

Bottom line, I didn't even look at the cupcake.  I knew it wasn't smart to even fantasize about it.  One bite and I could leave my carb-free zone and the hunger would return.  Some would say there should be a gray area here but I know my body and its pretty black and white.

Let's here it for the girl!  I did not succumb to temptation!  Hooray!

Joyful                             
RNY - 6/3/08 
Start-328.8  Now 239 Goal 165

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 10/31/12 7:49 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

Like when your sweet little cat brings you a lovely disemboweled mouse and can't understand why you aren't more appreciative...  

You're so right about the carb monster. I'm an on or off person, too: one bite is too many, the whole cake is not enough. Good for you!!! for not succumbing. I hope somebody enjoyed that cupcake--I'm glad it wasn't you. You inspire me.

2Julykids
on 11/26/12 5:23 am - AZ
DS on 11/12/12
Good for you for not giving in! That takes more power than many can imagine!
LinR
on 11/27/12 7:24 am

Great willpower. 

groovykg
on 12/18/12 9:51 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

So I'm guessing you don't dump?

My mom had RNY in 2002 and can only eat the tiniest bit of sweet before she starts to feel sick.  Her birthday is Saturday and my dad asked me to make her a cake with as much buttercream frosting as possible.  So 1992 for her. I reminded him she doesn't like that anymore.   "Nonsense!" he retorts.  

Thanks for your post,  You've made me realize I need to consult with her before I cave into my dad's wishes to surprise her with a bounty of buttercream.

Most Active