How to get protein in....RNY done 7/16/12

DawnBartlebaugh
on 8/2/12 10:25 am - MD
 Hello- I am going on 4 weeks post-op, surgery RNY 7/16/12....I am having a very hard time getting my protein in....It takes all I have to get fluids in so I don't dehydrate...I went for my post-op appt today, talked to my doctor, he advised me to reach out...So if anyone has any suggestions on how I can get my protein in, I appreciate it.....Thanks 
Dawn  
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/2/12 12:40 pm

Drink proteins. First few weeks the water in shakes (thin) were the water I was getting.  It was all about drinking - sipping proteins.
As much as I hated them - the clear isopure protein in a glass bottle - 20 oz = 40 gr of proteins so 1.5 bottle = 30 oz of liquid and 60 gr of proteins. Clear, thin- water and proteins in one. Add additional 30 oz of water or tea and you get 60 gr of proteins and 60 oz of water. (liquid)
I added ice, water, ho****er, cold water, etc. Any way to get the liquid and proteins in. 

Eventually I was able to get other shakes. Initially and even some days even now - 4 years post op, when I am thirsty but I also know I did not meet my protein goal - I make a shake. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

DawnBartlebaugh
on 8/8/12 12:12 am - MD
Thanks for the info...I went out and purchased the Isopure premade in bottle....It made me very nausea it was too sweet....I am now dehydrated according to my keystones strip....It can cost a small fortune buying different proteins at gnc or on line to find ine that my pouch n I can tolerate....I know this is a life changing surgery which I am ready for....Im not sure what I was thinking when I thought post op was going to be less difficult.... :-/
Dawn  
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/8/12 12:22 am
Nausea is also a sign of dehydration.
Isopure: I had to trick my body to be able to drink any proteins at the beginning. The smell was setting me off.
I learned to
-dilute with water or ice
- pinch my nose, take a big breath, take a sip then follow with small sip of water - exhale through the mouth. 5 min later - repeat.  all day long.
There are some proteins that are better than others - our body can tolerate.

Buying samples (from viatalady.com) allowed me to sample 30 different shakes and pick some that I could tolerate. Even like some of them. 

good luck.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jamiebrain
on 8/5/12 8:00 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12
 I've been trying the Isopure Zero Carb drinks as well.  A lot of protein.  The blue raspberry, grape and pineapple orange banana are my faves.  I'd stay away from the orange.  Bleh.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

l_smith
on 8/7/12 1:16 pm
Hey Dawn.  I noticed you are looking for a way to get your protein in.  I was wondering if I could share my story with you?  My wife and I have been on a product for a few months that we absolutely love, and honestly look forward to drinking!  If you're interested, drop by www.smithchallenge.com to see our story.  Please let me know if you have any questions.  Talk to you soon!
itzmetinab
on 8/8/12 2:10 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 I checked out your site and see that your product is a SOY protein rather than a WHEY protein.  My NUT says that soy protein isn't absorbed as well as whey and it's important (especially in the beginning) to stick to whey protein.
l_smith
on 8/8/12 10:51 am
Hey, thanks for your reply.  This product is actually a patented Trisorb protein, which consists of 2 high quality whey proteins (whey hydrosolate & whey protein isolate-processed to remove lactose).  The third protein element is the non-GMO soy, that has the isoflavones removed.  With 8 oz of milk (we use 2%), you get 20g of protein per serving.  Because of the Trisorb blend, the protein is fully absorbed by the body 12 - 14 minutes after consumption.  Although there are many debates on the subject of the limit of protein consumption per meal, many studies show that anything more than approx. 25g per meal is not absorbed and goes down the "waste treatment"!

Our bariatric surgeon in town has actually started refering his patients to this product, after he studied it for 3 weeks.  One of his patients (and a new friend of mine) has lost 55 lbs in the last 8 weeks.  An idea is to show the nutritional info of this product to your physician and/or nutritionist, and see if it's right for your needs.

I recently found a study conducted by the NIH that showed different protein drinks and the chemicals found in them, some of them I consumed when I was younger.  It showed levels of lead, arsenic, and cadmium found in some of these products. (I have a printout of this info in my files).

Please be careful and do your research!  Simply, I recommend going with what you feel comfortable.  Best wishes to you in the future!
Diane W.
on 10/1/12 9:22 am
Revision on 08/10/12
Have you tried Unjury chicken flavored soup.  It has 20 grams of protein and easy to get down.  It's much easier for me that Isopure.  I will choke it down if I have to, but unjury is so much easier.  I also like unflavored protein powder (medical type) in sugar free pudding.  It gives you 10 g protein.

Best wishes,
Zaytune
on 10/17/12 2:43 pm
On October 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM Pacific Time, Diane W. wrote:
Have you tried Unjury chicken flavored soup.  It has 20 grams of protein and easy to get down.  It's much easier for me that Isopure.  I will choke it down if I have to, but unjury is so much easier.  I also like unflavored protein powder (medical type) in sugar free pudding.  It gives you 10 g protein.

Best wishes,
hi Diane what is the brand of medical grade protein powder you use? I posted earlier specifically asking folks about using this for my protein.

Most Active