4 years out and gaining weight

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/12 10:41 pm
I am almost four years out from my banding surgery, and am not doing so hot. My activity level is great...I am training for both a marathon and a century right now. The down side to the increased activity level is I am always hungry! One thing that the band cannot do is control my cravings, and I have very little self control when it comes to this either. I used to give in to the occasional craving...chip, ice cream, etc. just to please my mind and be done with it for a few weeks. Now I get them so often, sometimes finding that food can consume my mind for the whole day if I don't just give in and get whatever it is I am thinking about. Am I crazy? Does anyone else have problems with this?

I am also finding that gaining weight back is making me very self concious. I feel that other people can tell (even though at this point it is only like 12 pounds) and I don't want them to think I am looking fat. I think it has started to affect my relationship with my husband (of just a few months which is even more sad)...I feel uncomfortable him seeing my mid-section, which means I rarely let him see me with my shirt off. He always tells me how beautiful I am, and I just don't believe him. Last summer I felt significantly better when I was on the downward slope towards my goal weight. This summer I feel like I have been a little down in the dumps cause I am always concerned about my gaining weight, but not enough to finght my food indulgences I guess. 

Anyone have suggestions on fighting cravings or getting my eating back under control? I need help!
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/12 1:31 am
What worked and works for me is low carb.

And moderate exercise. Also - consider seeing a therapist.

We have BOTT group - for people who try to get back on track. Be back in control of the weight and the hunger. Check that out.
Even for bandster - limiting carbs - limits the cravings and you may be able to make better choices.
Eating small melas - 6 times a day - mainly proteins and sno -starchy veggies may do the trick.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discuss ion/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LinR
on 8/3/12 7:41 am
I joined weigh****chers a few weeks ago.  I am running more and didn't know how to eat.  I really like the way they consider fat/carb/protein/fiber in their points calculations.  Following the plan has helped me eat healthier and avoid those cravings.  I was never able to stick with WW in the past, but that along with the WLS has been a good fit for me.

l_smith
on 8/7/12 1:27 pm
First of all, congrats on training for a marathon!  I am also training to enter one at the beginning of next year.  You can never beat the benefit of fitness!  Also, in the past I had a problem with snacking, mainly due to my addiction to sweets.  It's in my genes.  My granddad ate Little Debbies everyday till he passed when he was 92.  But, our family has started a health challenge that has changed our lives!  Not sure if you're interested, but pleasetake a few minutes to drop by www.smithchallenge.com and read our story.  Good luck with the training!
(deactivated member)
on 8/8/12 2:14 am - Fort Worth, TX

How long has it been since you had a fill? Maybe you need a slight fill ,i know exactly how you feel. I am in the same position as you are about the cravings and looking for food, and i have also gained some weight. I feel horrible about myself. I have no problem eating solid protein and anything else. When i have proper restriction i don't have the cravings. I have an appointment for a fill in the morning and think it is just what i need.Sounds like you have no problem with exercise, good luck. 

Most Active