Cooking for one

Ashley G.
on 7/4/12 7:21 am - SC
I am seven weeks post-op and I live by myself.  I am having a hard enough time trying to figure out what to make for myself, plus I am having a hard time making it just for one.

I am buying healthy food, but I am having to throw a lot of it out as it goes bad and this is getting expensive!  I have done a search on how to cook for one but all the blogs recommend I eat a lot of carbs and we all know I can't do that.  

I know there are others out there in my position.  Any suggestions or helpful tips you can give me?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/5/12 6:47 am
I cook foods that I can easily freeze and the reheat.

In the beginning - I would cook one egg - then use with some veggies.
I used cheese - cottage cheese and Greek yogurt a lot.

Meat - stew or any soft meatloaf - easy to make - easy on the pouch, can freeze.   
fresh fruit and veggies - I would by by the lb and not packages - i.e. 1 apple, 1 orange. Same with veggies. I also used a lot of frozen veggies - so it was easy to just grab 1 serving - and make into a  dish.
Frozen shrimps = can make 5... do not need to make more than that - steam in small amount of chicken stock or little bit butter, add spices.
Fish - I would buy the smallest can of fish - or use frozen - individually packed and frozen.
Cold cuts - can get a few oz - and have it fresh - then wrap in with cheese - and nuke, add a few slices of tomato.. or 2 leaves of lettuce.

I have so many 4 oz containers. 

check that for great post op RNY ideas.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

LinR
on 8/3/12 7:53 am
I buy bags of frozen fish or chicken fillets at Sams Club.  I also try to only shop for fresh produce for 4 days at a time.  that way it's fresh and I throw less out.  I too freeze a lot of dishes.  Most things really freeze well--chili, stews, chicken dishes.--even wild rice and whole wheat pastas. When I buy a package of meat, I cut it into individual servings and put each serving in a sandwhich bag and then the bags in a ziploc freezer bag.  I cook 3 boiled eggs at a time and plan my meal so I eat one a day for breakfast for the next 3 days.  I think shopping for 3-4 days verses a week has cut down on my waste.  Also planning meals for a weak, gives me an idea of what I do and do not need to buy.  Hope this helps.

Most Active