I need ideas for my liquid diet I am to start two weeks before my surgery on 7-16-2012

12Rowrena
on 6/19/12 6:44 pm - Reinbeck, IA
Any and all ideas would be appreciated.  I have never liked the chicken or beef broth from the can but if I were to strain noodles and veggies out of soup I'm sure the salt content would be too high.  I know you can drink juices, etc.  But my list is small and I want to know how everyone was able to handle the two weeks with just a liquid diet.  Was it as hard as I think it's goingn to be?  Please give me all the things you used and liked and any ideas as my list is very small of ideas.

Thanks for helping me.
tscasto
on 6/19/12 10:01 pm - Urbandale, IA
VSG on 03/22/12
I didn't have the same diet as you. Mine was just 1200 calories for 2 weeks & then liquid for 2 days prior to surgery. However, i would suggest checking out like the Premier Protein RTD protein drinks. Protein drinks will help you feel full. Start as soon as possible in cutting down on your calories so this time is as easy as possible.  Ask you surgeon what all they consider liquids. I could have yogurt, pudding, & jello during this time. Look for low sodium broths or soups that you will strain, that will help with the salt issue. Same with V8. I honestly would avoid  fruit juice as it has a high sugar content. Sugar free popsicles are a good option also.

Best wishes!!
Tenille 

HW-248.8   SW-233.4  1M-216.2   4M- 188.6
Latse
on 6/22/12 2:06 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I used the Premier Protein RTD shakes 2-3 a day (Breakfast, Lunch, Evening) AM snack I would have yoplait greek coconut yogurt, with lunch I would have 1/2 cup sugar free jello, PM snack a childrens 100% fruit juice box, Dinner V8 potato leek or broccoli soup, if having the munchies in the evening I added in a sugar free Popsicle.  Some days I had a hard time getting it all in.  Don't forget all your water too.

About a week into it I started having some pretty bad headaches and my nurse said to add a few crackers with chicken to help.

hope that helps a little, remember it is worth it!

Starting/Highest Weight 340, Surgery Weight 306,
Post op:
M1-20lb, M2-14, M3-15, M4-11, M5-10, M6-10, M7-8, M8-4, M9-4, M10-5

12Rowrena
on 6/25/12 9:27 am - Reinbeck, IA
Thanks for your input but I'm not suppose to drink milk products.  I was researching the different brands of Protein Powder and after reading peoples comments I'm stumped as to what to use.  Since I'm not to add milk to my protein powder and I'm so picky when it comes to flavor I have no idea what I should try.

Someone out there can help me, I hope with some ideas of what I can use and try as my date to start this is fast approaching.  I've read where some people use sugar free syrups to add to their powder protein drinks to help with the flavor - do you buy these syrups in a regular grocery store or somewhere special.

I don't get to see the Surgeon or anyone till the 13th of July and my surgery is scheduled for the July 16th.  They have a support group meeting the evening of the first day I start my liquit diet where I'm suppose to start all my protein drinks and vitamins and that would make it too late for what I try first.

If anyone can help me with some ideas, please do as I'm getting concerned as to what to try.
Cmtus
on 7/3/12 2:03 pm - KY
RNY on 06/25/12
 I prefer Nectar roadside lemonade protein because it tastes more like a lemonade than a shake. I also have to use water and when I mix water with a lot of the other protein powders it is like a watery shake. Yuck!  I also will add a crystal light lemonade with the roadside lemonade to mask some of the protein flavor. It tastes pretty decent. At least better than the othersnthatbi have tried.

Pre-surgery weight (at beginning of 6 month diet) 271, Pre- Surgery weight 259, Current weight 247. 

Sabina B.
on 7/8/12 6:55 am - MD
 I absolutely hate milk and had to find a substitute for my protein shakes.  I ended up using Crystal Light lemonade with unflavored protein powder, and several ice cubes.  Only 110 calories but at least it helped get my protein in.  I also had sugar free pudding, sugar free jello, and unsweetened apple sauce.

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

meashline
on 6/9/13 1:36 am - Houston, TX

My surgeon requires the same thing, so I'll be trying to do the same thing (hopefully before too much longer!). Have you tried almond milk? I don't drink milk and don't care for Silk or any of the soy milks. I do really like the Blue Diamond almond milk - I usually get the unsweetened vanilla and the unsweetened original. I haven't tried Rice milk yet, but plan to soon....

Most Active