Help with Vitamin list

cheysma2000
on 2/25/12 11:16 am - Bassett, VA

I am having my surgery 3/12. The nutritionalist I meet with never said anything to me about my vitamins. All she told me was I needed a good multi-vitamin and calcium. I don't want to leave out anything I need. Also, all she did during my appointment was talk to me about what foods are healthy. I wasn't given any eating requirements. Will someone go over this with me at the hospital? I have been trying to get all my stuff ready for when I come home. I just feel alittle lost.

Cheysma2000
RNY 3/12/12
Hernia surgery 3/25/12

poet_kelly
on 3/1/12 3:19 am, edited 3/1/12 3:20 am - OH

Here's what the ASMBS says you should start with:

A multi with 100% of the RDA of most nutrients.  Take two a day.  Stay away from kids' vitamins and gummy vitamins, because those will not have what you need.  Even though Flintstones says “complete" on the bottle, they really are not complete but are missing a number of important things.  The ASMBS  recommends a multi with iron.  If you take a multi with no iron, you’ll need additional iron at a separate time.  They say to start your multi as soon as you get home from the hospital.

1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  Make sure it's citrate, not carbonate.  That means no Caltrate and no Viactiv.  They say you can wait up to one month to start your calcium – not that you should wait, just that you can.

54-63 mg iron for menstruating women (18-27 mg PLUS 18 mg twice a day in your multi, if you use a multi with iron).  36 mg a day for people that do not menstruate.  We absorb carbonyl iron better than ferrous sulfate.  Ferrous sulfate will also make you constipated.  They say to start your iron as soon as you get home from the hospital.

B12.  You can use a sublingual, 350-500 mcg per day, nasal spray once a week, or shots once a month.  Unless your labs show you need more.  They say you can wait up to three months to start your B12 – not that you should wait, just that you can.

They say a B complex is optional.

Many people also need D3 so you should get your vitamin D level to find out if you do.  Don’t bother with the prescription vitamin D, because it’s D2 and in oil so we will absorb very little of it.  Everyone needs D3 and post ops need “dry" D3, not in oil.

I don't know if they will go over the post op diet in the hospital or not, but it seems like you would want that information ahead of time so you can shop for the things you need.  You won't want to stop at the store on your way  home from the hospital.  Why don't you call the dietician and ask for the info you need?

ETA: Oops, I just gave you the vitamin list for RNY but you didn't say which surgery you were  having.  If you're having something other than RNY, call your dietician and ask for the ASMBS recommendation for your surgery type.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

cheysma2000
on 3/1/12 5:51 am, edited 3/1/12 6:01 am - Bassett, VA
Yep, RNY on March 12. I actually have called the dietician a few times but I always seem to get her voicemail. I totally agree with you as far as getting things ready thats why I got concerned.   

Cheysma2000
RNY 3/12/12
Hernia surgery 3/25/12

rbb825
on 3/3/12 4:58 pm - Suffern, NY
first off good luck with your surgery next week.  I cant' believe there are Nutritionists out there that dont' go over the necessary supplements as well as the proper food plans.  I will go over the best I can -

Multi 2 times per day - centrum silver chewables are the best option

calcium citrate 1500-2000mg per day in 3-4 daily doses atleast 2 hours apart and not more than 650mg at a time.  You need to take them atleast 2-4 hours apart from your iron and thyroid medicaiton.
for chewables at the beginning go to bariatric advantage they have either lozenges which are 500mg - there are many flavors, I love the cherry ones, these can be taken 3 times per day to start and if needed increase to 4 times later on.  The chewies are 250mg and you take 2 at a time for 500mg - these also come in many flavors -  I love the raspberry ones, take these 3 times per day to start and increase later if needed - you can take a combination of the 2 if you want.  You can call bariatric advantage and ask for a sample pack to taste all the different flavors

Once you can take tablets, if you want to switch, you can get citrical - usually by one month or later - the maximums are 630mg per 2 tablets - these are very large tablets but you only have to take 2 tablets 3 times per day for 1890mg.  The citrical petites, are much smaller and 600mg for 3 tablets 3 times per day for 1800mg.  Again, you can take a combination of the tablets and chewables if you would like.

iron - carbonyl iron  with vitamin C - vitalady.com = tender irons = 25mg chewables at first and add 200mg of vitamin C per chewable.  Start with a minimum of 2-3 chewables in one dose.  Once you can swallow pills, get the tender iron capsules- they are 60mg and have the necessary vitamin C in the capsules - depending on your labs determines on how many you need to take, most people start with 1 or 2, and then increase if needed.  They work great, are easy on the stomach and non constipating plus are cheap - 400 per bottle.

vitamin D - dry D3- also from vitalady.com -  company is Biotech and works great - dont let doctor give you prescription, you can't absorb it, you need dry D3. either 5,000 units capsules or 50,000units capsules - postops either take the 5,000 units - 1 or 2 per day to start and then adjust with labs or the 50,000 units 2-3 times per week but that depends on if they are deficient/  It is best to start with the 5,000 or 10,000 units per day and try to get your level done ASAP so you can gauge where you are. I had my labs done 2 weeks preop so I had a guide to go by
 and then could compare postop.

B12 -= 1000mcg sublinguals to start and most need more or monthly injections (again - most need more often_)

B1 - 100mg daily

anything else is based on labs

(deactivated member)
on 4/9/12 3:24 pm - ND
 There is a product called "greens" it's better then multi. I take it every day n never once had low vitamin levels! All natural. U put it in your drink or protein shake...so easier on your pouch then pills.  It's a weird color but tastes like nothing!  Here' s the site, even my dr recommends it!!  Wrapwithalicia.myitworks.com. I use all the products, they are great!!!
rbb825
on 4/10/12 12:05 pm - Suffern, NY
I dont know how far out you are and if you are taking that as your only supplement but I sure hope so not.  It is possibly a good supplement to drink once in awhile for a boost for all the antioxidants it has but it has no vitamins or minerals - how are you supposed to use this instead of a multi vitamin if it has no vitamins or minerals?  You need something with all the B vitamins, C, A, E, K, selenium, zinc, magnesium and a long list of other things.  without all these things, you will have some serious deficiencies.

Most Active