EXTREME sleepiness

buckeyekris
on 2/8/12 4:38 am - Bellefontaine, OH
Hi all! This is probably somewhere in this forum, however I'm posting from work..shhhhh...and didn't have time to search. I haven't been on here for years!! Anywho - I remembered where I should turn when I have answers - back to my OH Forums!

I am WOW....7.5 years Post-Op having RNY in 12/2004. I have started noticing recently that ANYTIME I eat sugar I get EXTREMELY tired afterward. I've never had an issue with sugar or dumping, and  I don't usually eat a lot of it. I've had iron infusions so I know it's not anemia that's making me tired anymore. I've just started really paying attention to when I can't keep my eyes open and I've realized this week that it's directly related to my intake of sugar. I had a candy bar about an hour ago - ate it slowly - and now I need some toothpicks to keep my eyes open! Could I possibly have a blood sugar issue? I've never had a diabetic problem so I wouldn't know what it was like. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
Thanks!!

Kristie!
wendylouu
on 2/18/12 4:38 am - GA
 Have you ever tried Advocare? Check it out. I'm 8 yrs post op and love advocare 
www.advocare.com/11032524
I don't know how I would get thru the day without it

Live, Laugh, Love

StevesWifeAngie
on 2/19/12 2:25 am - Weston, OH
 Buckeye Kris,
That is a sugar coma! I get those when I eat sugar too (not too often).. (even though we both know we aren't supposed to be eating sugar at all, shame on us!)... I did ask my Dr. about it early into my journey and he said that some people dump.. some people get tired.. I was lucky enough to get tired.. I've dumped 1 time and that was enough for me to know I was lucky indeed! Ha!!  The tiredness is from the quick drop in your blood sugar after it spiked (that was the medical expanation he gave me..) Blood sugar spikes and drops can happen to anyone, but are amplified because of our surgery.

keep track of your sugar & don't over do it..  (here's the pot calling the kettle black..) and remember sugar comes in lots of forms, not just the white refined stuff.. don't eat too much fruit and stuff either..

Good Luck!!

(BTW, I am from NW Ohio, are you close?)
Most Active