Hungry all the time, 1 year after surgery...

greendragon
on 12/15/11 11:16 pm - Morgantown, WV
Hello all!  My surgery was a bit over a year ago, and I've lost 130 of the weight (70 to go!).  However, I've been stalled the last couple months.  And now I'm hungry ALL the time.

I drink my protein shakes still, 4-5 a day, with snacks in between of nuts, cheese, meat, etc.  Low-carb, high-protein. Keeping to about 1200 cal a day per my nutritionist.  I take all my vitamins, and try to get in exercise each day - walking, etc at lunch hour.

I get hunger pangs less than an hour after a shake.  I eat a handful of nuts or a Babybel cheese, and it lasts about a half hour, if that, and I feel it again.  I REALLY hate the thought of going back to 'bored eating', but I'm afraid that I will!  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, all!  And happy holidays!

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/20/11 6:32 am
Not sure why... but a few things that I noticed taht make me hungry:
1. artificial sweeteners. (splenda ,etc)
2. soda - even diet
3. chewing gum
4. dehydration - need enough water - hot teas...

Then - try some food with fiber.  
sometimes not eating enough calories makes me hungry.

BTW: if I try to make a shake using milk (8 oz = 12 gr of sugar) I will get sick (but that beacuse of RNY) and I also will get hungry very soon after the shake.
Low carb - high protein diet - works when yu also get enough fat - fat - good natural fat (butter, eggs, cheese, nuts) keeps me fulller longer.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tinamarie_125
on 12/22/11 1:26 am
I was going to say try adding more protien. hmmm...but it looks like you get quite a bit of that. Maybe try eating more at your meals? There are days when I feel hungry all the time. And days when I forget to eat. I don't know why it goes up and down like that. When I would hit a stall, my nutritionist would usually tell me that my body needed something to lose weight (more calories, carbs, protien). Have you talked to him or her about hitting the stall and the hunger? 
Good luck!
kerry D.
on 1/7/12 3:24 am - Cambridge, MA
you're hungry because you are drinking all of your meals.  They are Sliding right through your pouch along with your cheese snacks.  Start eating dense protein as your meals and use your shakes as snacks.  You can also add thickeners to your shakes to make them super dense(thicker than even greek yogurt) and they will take longer to empty from your stomach.  You can use xanthum gum, guar gum, konjic powder, etc.
Donnaslifepart2
on 2/18/12 3:58 am - Canada
Is there a particular reason why you continue to drink so many shakes daily?  I am 8 1/2 post RNY and I do get very hungry if I haven't EATEN enough protein.  Shakes go right through me.  Try baking up a package of skinless, boneless chicken breasts.  Eat until satisfied with some veggies, in a salad, etc.  I'll bet you won't be so hungry that day.

Bonus: It's bound to be cheaper than all those shakes and it's REAL FOOD!

Most Active