Absorption of Fish Oil after distal RNY

Caleast
on 10/15/11 11:27 pm - Treasure Coast, FL
Ok, I should know this, but can't find it anywhere.....I know I don't absorb fats very well as I dump with them as well as with sugar.  Having a Distal RNY, I also don't absorb the fat soluble vitamins, and have to use the dry form...  SO, now I am taking Fish oil, which is in a gelcap.....does that mean I am not absorbing it fully?  Anybody know???  And do they have a dry form, or one that I can absorb if I am not absorbing this?  So confusing!!  Any feedback appreciated!
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/17/11 7:05 am
fish oil - you can't take is in dry form. And yes - you will malabsor it as much as any other fats, so if you need 2 gr - normal person, and you only can absorb 20 % - you would need to take 10 gr to be able to absorb 2gr..

BTW: better choice than a gel caps may be coromega - gel like pouch...  taste good.  try it.
I buy mine from Vitamin shoppe, or any other vitamin shop on line (vitacost, luckyvitamins, etc.)

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=&ie =UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS326&q=coromega+omega-3+supplement#q=c oromega+omega-3+supplement&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS326&prmd=im vns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=h5icTtCFBqLa0QGtwZX6C A&ved=0CJoBEK0E&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=3fef7adf390 1cf7e&biw=1280&bih=827

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Caleast
on 10/17/11 10:59 am - Treasure Coast, FL
thanks Hala........Do you not think the vectomega would work?  Just curious if you have heard anything bad about it?  Will show all to my DR tomorrow and see what he thinks......Right now he has me on 15 gelcaps, and wonders why they arent working well with me like my husband, hmmmm...... will definitely look into the coromega as well as the vectomega!  You have been wonderful help, thanks!
janet
H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/11 12:42 am
Janet, I am a "health nut"... but even I coudl not find anything wrong with those. Well.. except a price... the gel caps are so much cheaper.  But some of them do not get disolved.  TRy this... not only this taste good... but since it is in a ready pudding like consistency... I think we may absorb taht better.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active