PRE-OP WEIGHT LOSS...Giving up VENT!

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 9/27/11 7:46 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12
I am having a big problem. I have been in a surgical program since March 15, 2010. I still have yet to get my RNY surgery because I have not been able to lose 25 pounds pre-op requirement. I took about 2 months off the program due to stress getting the best of me and gained 15 pounds! Now, that 25 pounds has turned into 40 pounds I need to lost post-op. I have started this week with a strict regimen and hopefully can lose at least 30-35 pounds by November 14, 2011. I need to lose this weight by then because that is my pre-op. My surgery is supposed to be in Mid-Late December possibly Early January. I am currently doing 1100-1200 calories a day and walking my son in his stroller for 30 minutes as well as Zumba for 1 hour everyday. Can someone please tell me if it is possible to lose this amount of weight in 50 days! I know that I about 10 pounds of my excess is water weight because I was having a pitting edema problem last month so my Doc put me on water pills...PLEASE HELP and give any suggestions, I really need to lose this weight and I am slowly gving up on this whole WLS process. I want this surgery so bad its ridiculous...
ANGIE0502
on 9/28/11 5:24 am
I never fully understood the reasoning behind the weight loss before WLS surgery except that it makes it easier for the dr's to move around inside and de-fat your liver a bit.  Frankly, if it was that easy for us to lose the weight, we wouldn't be needing surgery and wouldn't be beating ourselves up over trying. 

I don't have any miracles for you.  But have you tried to document what your eating and how much.  You have to be REALLY honest when doing it.  I'm talking brutally honest.  No fudging the numbers.  I use My Daily Plate on Livestrong.com when I feel I'm losing control of my eating.  It is an eye opener .  For some reason, it's easier if you can see what your eating (and drinking) and see where you can make adjustments.  It might be worth exploring.  My Daily Plate lets you set your goals, shows how many calories you can take in, calculates your calories you've taken in and shows how much you have left for the day to take in.  It has an option of recording your exercise to show how much of the calories you are burning.  It's pretty cool to work with.  Takes the guess work out of it.
Angie
"Assumption is the root of many problems"

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 9/29/11 9:51 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12
Yes :) I have an Android so I use an app called My Fitness Pal. Its amazing, you can also use the online version. I was told that the requirement is a double-edged sword kinda deal. You lose weight so the surgery becomes safer but my surgeon makes me go to weigh-ins every 2 weeks that way they keep a record of each weigh in. Most patients tend to struggle with this weight loss which shows on their medical chart. When the insurance sees this they have no choice but to approve the surgery. My surgeon also had me do various tests like G.I. X-Rays, Leg and Abdominal Ultrasounds, EKG, Echocardiogram, countless blood tests, breathing tests, etc. I guess their goal is to build up your medical chart so that you are completely prepared and then at the end they ask for the approval from insurance and it usually comes pretty quick within 2 weeks or less.

NOTHING tastes as GOOD as SKINNY FEELS...

Starting Pre-Op Weight: 305     Weight On Day of Surgery: 297 

kerry D.
on 9/29/11 5:38 am - Cambridge, MA
You say your pre-op appt is Nov 14th, but you are not supposed to have surgery till mid-Dec or later.  Why are you having pre-op so early?  Ideally, should not be more than 2 weeks before surgery date.  What if you lose enough weight for pre-op, but gain it back in between will they change their mind about doing the surgery

Ask the nutritionist to give a script for phentermine.  My surgeon asked(not required, maybe bc of my bmi) me to lose 5% of my weight(approx 12 lbs).  Overall I lost 14 lbs, however I actually gained 7 pounds over the holidays, so I really only lost 7 lbs from my initial appt.  For 3 months, I tried everything to lose weight, except a liquid protein diet.  I was prescribed phentermine 37.5mg and took 1/2 pill per day for 2 weeks then was able to keep up with a healthier eating plan for another  2 months till surgery.  I was told that I could take it 1x/day or half pill 2x/day for 6-8 weeks only.  Found I only needed 1/2 pill per day.  It was the only thing that worked.  I had lost a significant amount of weight about 12 years earlier doing Atkins, but when I tried it this time no weight would come off.

There seem to be quite a few people who are required to do a 10-14 day liquid protein diet right before surgery, mostly to have their liver shrink to make surgery safer, but it also helps them lose preop weight.

Also, call your surgeon again and ask how strict they are going about losing the weight.  For example, you said that you have to lose 40lbs, ask them if 25lbs will be acceptable.

MaMaMaRTiNeZz
on 9/29/11 9:59 am - Los Angeles, CA
RNY on 11/01/12

Well thats the thing. When I started the program, I was 292 and they ask a 10% weight reduction which the Dr. leveled out for me at 25 pounds. BUT...since then I have gained about 15 pounds so I have 25 in addition to the 15 I gained. I called many times and they are very strict on their policies but the reasoning makes sense (see previous post). I have a script for phentermine and a script for tenuate. I tried both and I couldn't handle the meds. I have anxiety so I have to be careful what I take. So far I am doing good I am sticking with my diet and exercise and I feel good. I am keeping the mindset that this is only temporary until December/January. And on that note, the reason the Pre-Op is 4-6 weeks earlier than the surgery is so that the surgeon can discuss important things, lock in a surgery type, a tentative date, and give the pre-op diet, discuss final concerns, and give you orders for final testing and mandatory meetings. The program is very comprehensive to the needs of the HMO insurance providers since they are affiliated with HealthCare Partners and majority of this medical group's policy holders are under HMO plans. They also accept PPO I think. Anyway I guess the next day after your pre-op they send for approval which takes up to 2 weeks, after approval the surgery is moved from tentative to firm status and it usually happens 4 weeks after approval.

NOTHING tastes as GOOD as SKINNY FEELS...

Starting Pre-Op Weight: 305     Weight On Day of Surgery: 297 

kerry D.
on 9/29/11 10:27 am - Cambridge, MA
I understand about the phentermine, it can be itimidating when you first take it.  I also have anxiety problems that needs to be controlled with meds.  Hopefully when you tried it, your doc had you work up to an appropriate dose. 

I have an HMO also. I understand we have diff ins, but most HMOs have similar guidlines.  My surgery was approved as soon as I completed the 6 month required diet counseling, which was during but before I finished appts with my surgeons program schedule and final approval was given within 24 hours after preop appt with surgeon.  Insurance companies can not force you to lose weight pre-op in order to be approved and no final approval does not take 4 weeks.  They are just telling you that.  If your surgeon will not perform surgery without losing every pound, in time you might want to look for another surgeon.

Good luck.

Sam814
on 10/22/11 10:12 am
Hey Aileen.

My name is Sam. My wife and friend have been drinking these awesome meal replacement shakes and having alot of success with them. They are NOT typical meal replacement shakes.
They are loaded with nutriotion, are affordable and taste great. They are heart & diabetic friendly and also gluten free. They burn fat and build lean muscle. There is no calory counting, no points to count and no expensive meals to buy & since thet are replacing a meal there is no added expense, and because of all the nutrients they contain you not only lose weight but also feel better with more energy. I also believe that your body needs about 1300 calories or your metabalism will slow down. My friend and wife have lost about 20 ponds in 7 weeks but are also losing inches and feeling revived. I'll give you my email address in case you are interested, Aileen. If not I wish you all the beat with your surgery :)

[email protected]

Sam
kerry D.
on 10/22/11 10:18 am - Cambridge, MA
Scam.  Do not contact this person. 
Sam814
on 10/22/11 10:43 am
Everything I stated above is true. I am not overweight, I am 6 foot 192 pounds. But my wife and best friend are... and this weight loss program has done exactly what I stated above.
I honestly tried to offer an alternative to any weight loss surgery because I know 4 people who have had it done and all 4 gained the weight back, plus it doesn't teach you how to eat healthy and gain nutrition.
I didn't mean to upset anyone, just tried to offer a healthy alternative to a fellow forum member of yours.

Sorry
Sam 

kerry D.
on 10/22/11 10:45 am - Cambridge, MA
Right so you joined this forum today to sell your product and make $$$. 

Go away.
Most Active