re: oral iron supplements

rbb825
on 10/9/11 3:34 pm - Suffern, NY
You can't make a blanket statement that oral iron doesn't work for RNY patients.  It works for some of us and it doesn't work for some.  I recently had kidney stone surgery back in July and lost a ton of blood and almost needed a blood transfusion.  I did avoid it and went home 5 days later on oral iron - carbonyl iron - 240mg per day with 1600mg of vitamin C and within 2 months, my levels are great.  Now next week, I am going to have surgery again for the rest of the kidney stones on the other side.  They made me wait for my blood levels to get back to a good level. I get cleared by my hematologist this week.  He is fine with me taking my oral iron and say if I ever need the IV he will give it to me but since I am allergic to it, we are avoiding it as much as possible. Thankfully, the oral stuff works great on me.  I am post menopausal - so no more periods.

So, if you get your IV iron, I would definitely try getting some Tender irons from vitalady.com they are 60mg per capsule with the necessary vitamin C in them - take 3 or 4 per day and that will keep your levels up - hopefully.

TPULOS
on 10/24/11 8:46 am - HESPERIA, CA
I had RNY Aug.2008 and discovered I had a ferritin level of 3. I started taking an iron syrup which over 18 months brought that level to 21. I switched to Iron complete from GNC which is a non-enteric coated iron tablet. I took 3 tablets a day and after 3 months my ferritin level is 99! Good luck in getting your levels to stay where they belong!! 
oclaura
on 11/1/11 2:10 am
 check this website is worth the try www.gastricvitamins.com, They have great supplements and they are absorbed in your body 90% unlike chewables or pills.
Laura
Most Active