Post-Op cholesterol confusion

LibitCS
on 8/29/11 4:30 am - OH
I am 7 months out (RNY Jan 31st) and I have just gotten my bloodwork results.  I don't see my surgeon again for almost another month.  And I have a question.  Overall the bloodwork resutls were awesome.  Hurray for me!  But here is my question:

My Total Cholesterol = 136 mg/dL (normal = 125 - 200)
My Triglycerides = 100 mg/dL (normal < 150)
My LDL (bad) Cholesterol = 72 mg/dL (normal = 46)

So here's the question:  if my overall cholesterol, triglycerides & bad cholesterol are all nice and low, does it matter that my good cholesterol is a little under the desired range?

I'm eating almonds almost every day.  I eat tuna frequently.  I use olive oil (uncooked) when the need arises.  I have avocado every once in a while (not too much cause of the calories).  So I am wondering if it has something to do with the quantity of food I take in, you know?

Any feedback/thoughts//experience would be welcome.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal:  It is the courage to continue that counts."  
~ Winston Churchill
rbb825
on 9/1/11 5:39 pm - Suffern, NY
You don't list your HDL level but with your other numbers, I wouldn't be concerned.  Your LDL you want under 100 unless you have heart disease then they want it less than 70. Your total cholesterol and triglycerides are great. 

I know that they say the good fats help with your HDL, you might also want to try Omega 3's - GNC has some chewables and I Think bariatric advantage does too.  Chewables better for absorbtion since the others are all gelcaps.

The only other way that I know to increase HDL is via exercise.  For some it is just heritary.  My mom was confined to wheel chair or lazyboy recliner 24 hours per day and had a total cholesterol of 280 but her HDL was 95.  The doctors were always amazed saying they never saw an HDL level so high and for someone with no exercise, they couldnt' understand it.

Back then, my total cholesterol was on the high side low 200's and my HDL was low and LDL was high.  Not a good combination and was put on meds.  Now post op, without meds, I am totally the opposite - total 120's to 140's, LDL 40's and HDL 60's.  I eat no good fats and get absolutely no exercise due to many medical problems, so again they can't believe that my HDL levels went up so much but it happened. I guess I got some of my mothers genes afterall.

Most Active