Anyone overcome their ANEMIA?

Michelle E.
on 8/1/11 2:33 pm
I am wondering if anyone ever overcame their anemia? I have inhaling 6 Tender Iron,3  Proferrin, 1 Copper, and VIt C. I quit drinking Tea all the time. I started doing weekly shots of B12. b1, b6 and folic acid. I take 2 one a day vits, 6 calcium citrate with d (3 at a time), extra d3 5000 mg per day, Super B complex daily, Omega 3,6,9, and 7, Magnesium citrate..

Michelle
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/2/11 7:28 am
Anemia: is it iron deficient enemia or???
I was not anemic per se, but my iron was low.

I just got iron infusions.
My ferritin and iron saturations were low, and stayed low for 1.5 years even with suplementation.

So I asked for Irons infusions. Hope they worked. Will find out in ~2 weeks.

With as much iron that you take and calcium - when do you take it? we can only absorb so much iron at a time. Any extra- is wasted.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Michelle E.
on 8/2/11 11:16 am
My Ferritin 4.2, Iron Sat 10%, RBC 3.59,

I didnt realize that we only absorb so much Iron. I have been taking it on an empty stomach at night time. I take 6 tender iron, 3 proferrin, 1 copper, and super b complex.

I take my calcium in 2 doses during the day with 2 multis, Omega 3,6,9,7, Magnesium, D3 etc. My calcium tests are actually fine. Thankfully.

Michelle
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/3/11 1:21 am
You may need iron infusions.   With feritin that low and iron saturation very low... talk to the doc about sending you to hematologist.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

rbb825
on 8/13/11 7:16 pm - Suffern, NY
Here is my best advise - first off - Proferrin you need to break them in half and they can be taken with calcium but no vitamin C and don't taken them with the tender irons.  The tender irons (are they the 60mg or the 25mg ones?)  The 60mg ones have the necessary vitamin C in them and can be taken all in one dose but have to be taken atleast 2 hours away from your calcium, multi and thyroid medication.

You should be taking b12 either sublingual or injection - b complex wont do it.  Some take it as an extra but tend to end up with toxic levels of B6 levels, you are better off taking just 100mg of vitamin B1 and your sublingual B12.

Calcium - you need 1500-1800mg per day in 3 daily doses - no more than 650mg per dose -and atleast 2 hours apart and not within 2 hours of your iron or thyroid medication.

Your calcium levels are fine but how are your vitamin D and PTH levels?  5000 units of vitamin D isn't much.

IF you follow the above rules for your iron and nothing improves in month or 2, then you need to see a hematologist about iron infusions.  You are at maximum dose for oral iron.

Michelle E.
on 8/14/11 9:30 pm
My ferritin went up this last month to 7.5. I take60mg tender with vit C. I also take liquid B12 under the tongue and B12 injections weekly. I read some recent bariatric literature that states 200 mg of Iron is our max  but its all depends on the person I guess.
rbb825
on 8/15/11 2:42 pm - Suffern, NY
Wow, you have major absorbtion problems.  You definitely need to see a hematologist and fast.  If you are taking 3 proferrin ( and breatking them in half like I stated) without vitamin C and then taking 360mg of the tender irons and you still only have a ferritin of 7.5, then you will never be able to get a decent ferritin with oral iron.  You need IV infusions.

It isn't true that 200mg is the max iron you can take but I wouldn't go any higher than you already are.

The only thing you want to be sure of is how you are taking the iron, make sure you are taking the tenders atleast 2 hours and if that isn't working wait 4 hours away from your calcium and thyroid medication.  But I still think you need to get IV infusions.  Some people just can't absorb oral iron.

If you can't absorb the iron, make sure you get other things checked like vitamin D, PTH, vitamin A, B12, folate, vitamin B1, selenium, zinc, magnesium and copper.  You obviously have a terrible time with malabsorbtion and these could also be a problem for you.

Michelle E.
on 9/19/11 11:40 am
I got retested last week.. I am up to 11.8 Ferritin levels.. still anemic but improving and going in the right direction.

Michelle
dot4you
on 9/19/11 2:09 am - CA
Hi Everyone!
First Thank YOU so much for talking about this subject...I was told about a month ago that I'm anemic and I feel so weak and tired all the time. My doctor has me on iron twice a day and I now know to take it with orange juice...
They say I'm loosing blood from somewhere so we're doing upper and lower GI in a couple of weeks...the Gyno Doc doesn't think it's my periods causing the issue.

But now I've read it could be from any number of things...I've been drinking Crystal Light every since my surgery and really nothing else but a cup of coffee every other day....the caffeine can block iron I've read.  My diet and vitamin taking have been very slack and I believe  with the combination of all this I've really done myself no favors!! I also take prilosec everyday...i think I've been taking that at the wrong time in compo with my vits...

So now I'm taking prenatal vits. (doctor say so) ,Iron (65 mg ferrous sulfate) with orange juice, b- 12 sub,
also changed my diet to include a lot more protein and red meat...liverwurst, etc

I'm going to have my blood checked today for vitamin deficiencies...
I just want to feel better. This weak energy is just not good ....I know you can relate...
Is there more I can do? I can see I need to be more informed about my numbers and levels in my blood...I'm emailing my doctor now to ask about infusions.
Thanks again for all the great info! It's nice to know you're not alone.
Most Active