B12 - How much, and how often?

roogirlmulder
on 6/4/11 10:12 am - San Diego, CA
I've received a few conflicting pieces of information regarding B12, and wanted to see what you all, both pre and post RNY surgery, take regarding B12.

I am pre-surgery, currently awaiting surgery date notification, and have met with my Surgeon. He mentioned that I am to take a B12 supplement (preferably sublingual) once per week. But when I read about B12 both online and the bottles themselves in the store, the instructions say to take them daily.

What do you all do? Weekly or daily? and also, what strength of B12 do you take both pre and post surgery? I've seen them ranging from 50mg up to 2500mg.

Sian
"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it. If you can dream it, you can become it."
Surgery Date 8/25/2011
Highest Weight 310lbs - Current Weight 154lbs - Goal Weight 175lbs

aalleejjaannddrroo
on 7/4/11 3:44 pm
I have Kaiser. They gave me a whole binder full of information once I was in my pre-op process. My surgeons office requirements are sub-lingual B12, 500mcg per day minimum.

I have ordered my vitamins from Celebrate vitamins. They specialize in products for bariatric patients. They only sell 1 "size" , and its 1000mcg per day.

Purple Passion
on 7/24/11 6:23 pm - Little Falls, NJ
RNY on 08/06/07 with
I started with 2500 mcg a week, but adjusted as needed according to my bloodwork.  I now take 2500 daily and it stays consistant.  I am a strict vegetarian, so my needs may be different.  My wife is not a WLS patient and she is good with 2500 once a week.

Rachelle
Looking for a possible revision.
257/190/150 

rbb825
on 8/13/11 7:26 pm - Suffern, NY
Honestly, every surgeon tells there patients different amounts and everyones requirements are different. But I will tell you from 3 years of experience on these boards that you will need a minimum of 1000mcg daily and then based on your labs, you will need to adjust accordingly.  Many need alot more than that and many end up needing injections ranging from monthly to weekly.  It is imperitive to have good B12 levels, we actually want high B12 levels.  B12 deficiency is very dangerous and can cause nerve damage and if left long enough can be permanent.  Having high levels just give you extra energy and any excess, you just pee out.

So, I would find a 1000mcg sublingual and start with that.

Most Active