Protein bars? any unDIRT like.

jenysez1
on 4/26/11 11:23 am - LA
Thanks I will check the online store out, this one is new to me.

Jenny
jessemichael
on 4/28/11 12:45 pm
Unfortunately, basically all commercially sold protein bars are either unpleasing to the tastebuds and relatively healthy, or very pleasing to the palate but full of fat and sugar. If you have the patience the best way to go is to make your own bars. Look up so recipes on google or youtube using "homemade protein bars" as your keywords, or experiment on your own. The base of protein bars should be oatmeal, mixed with plain protein isolate which you can find online. You can then add either applesauce (natural with no sugar added) or canned pumpkin, some cinnamon and nutmeg, whatever you choose to sweeten the mixture with, whether it be honey, splenda, or something else (other than sugar!), and just enough water to moisten the mixture. Then you simply spread the mixture into a square or rectangular baking pan and bake at about 350 for 15 minutes or more if needed (depending on how moist you made the mixture). This is a pretty simple recipe and can be modified with whatever else you'd like. It make take a bit more work, but at least you know what's going into your protein bars (and more imporantly, what's NOT going into them!)
Check out my personal weight loss tips blog.
jenysez1
on 4/28/11 12:48 pm - LA
Thanks, I actually never thought of making my own.  I look up some recipes

Thanks Bunches, Jenny
uawrn
on 5/1/11 3:20 am - Kansas City, MO
I like the Adkin bars. Also www.vitalady.com has a great list and you can get samples
onemeanmom
on 5/10/11 3:26 pm - Modesto, CA
Don't know if you have a Costco close but I actually enjoy their protein bars. Check 'em out!

jenysez1
on 5/12/11 6:35 am - LA
No costco here.....I wish but thanks, wish I had a trader joes too

Jenny

morgans
on 8/10/11 10:13 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I have been including Luna Bars in my daily routine (I'm pre-surgery) and they are FANTASTIC! So much so I only bring one to work with me or I'd have two. I've had the Lemon Zest, the Chocolate Peppermint Stick, and the Chocolate Dipped Coconut.

They have a protein version which I haven't seen at Trader Joe's so I might order online and try those out.

jenysez1
on 8/10/11 7:16 pm - LA
I will have to try those.  I have seen them before, how is the sugar count on them?  I am having my surgery today so I wont be having them for awhile but might need to give them a try after.  thanks Jenny

morgans
on 8/10/11 9:19 pm
VSG on 06/18/12
The Luna Bars are under 200 calories as well:

Luna Bar (Lemon Zest):
  • Amount/Serving  %  DV*
  • Total Fat 5g  8%
  • Sat. Fat 2.5g  10%
  • Trans Fat 0g  None
  • Cholesterol 0mg  0%
  • Sodium 115mg  5%
  • Potassium 110mg  3%