allergic reaction to sublingual Btotal

alise007
on 3/1/11 2:54 am - Hickory, NC
I hadn't been using a b12 supplement for a while now.  Tried the sublingual b12 tablets initially after surgery but they would take 20+ minutes to dissolve.  Then got shots for a few years.  Since I moved here 5 yrs ago and had 2 babies in that time--haven't been doing much but a mulitvitamin.  I get levels checked every 6 months.  They have always been good but this past Dec the B12 was finally on the low end of the scale but still acceptable.

I was at the local health food store today and thought I would try a sublingual LIQUID supplement.  She gave me this B Total from Nutraceuticals.  Got to work followed the directions.  Placed one dropper full under my tongue and held for 30 seconds.

The box states that the niacin may cause you get flushed well I had a FULL on chest tightening, airway closing, tingly/fuzzy feeling for about 5 mins.  I almost had my coworkers call EMS because I thought my airway would completely close up.  I was COMPLETELY red faced and it happened within 1-2 mins of swallowing the B total.  I could feel the tightening from my belly up to my face.  They turned a fan on me.  i felt like I was choking.  Just sat and tried to remain calm, breathe easy.  After about 5 mins I was feeling more normal.  SCARY

ANYONE else had reactions similar or other problems with sublingual supplements?  I did some googling and the niacin or folic acid may cause diffiuclty breathing.  I have taken plenty of chewable prenatal vitamins with folic acid and never had a reacation.
rbb825
on 3/2/11 3:36 pm - Suffern, NY
Niacin reactions are nasty.  I know I took it many years and got a terrible reaction - dont' remember exactly what other than I thought I had a terrible sunburn and high fever.  But don't worry, you don't need a B complex.  You need straight sublingual B12 or B12 injections and vitamin B1 on its own which don't cause any type of reactions - the reaction you got was strictly from the niacin and you don't need extra niacin.

B12 and B1 are essential and if you become deficient you can develop nerve damage.  Being you said your B12 levels are already in the low range, that isn't good.  We want to be at the top and preferably over the top =- like 1200-1500.

SO, you have a lot of ground to make up, so I would get a sublingual B12 of 2500mcg and take it daily plus vitamin B1 - 100mg daily.  This should be a good start and get your levels checked in a few months.

You also need to be taking calcium citrate 1500-1800mg per day and vitamin D3 - without these you are putting yourself at high risk for osteoporosis.

Iron with vitamin C - atleast 50-60mg per day of iron.

Most Active