9 years post-op and I've gained 70 lb.

ecw1975
on 1/16/11 8:09 pm
I had RNY about 9 years ago.  I've re-gained 70 lb. of the 185 I lost.  I've become a snacker/grazer, and I don't dump (at least not as drastically as some people do.  I can eat a fairly large amount of sugar before I become nauseous).  I've gotten so far off track it's unreal.  I've been reading about the 5 day pouch test, and I'm curious if anyone has had success with it.  From what I've read, a lot of people will lost roughly 5 pounds on it, but then what?  I assume at the end of the 5 days, I'll be somewhat back on track (with the amount of food I can eat).  Will I continue to lose weight after the diet is over (assuming I continue to eat the high protein/low carb foods I'm supposed to eat)?  Do I have to keep doing the 5 day test over and over?  Will I even lose weight again considering I'm so far post-op?  I'm disgusted with myself, and I don't know what to do.  I've considered weight loss pills (namely Adipex) that people I know have had great success with.  None of these people have had WLS--they're just "normal" overweight people.  Would a medication like this work for a WLS patient?  Please help!
Pam T.
on 1/19/11 1:21 am - Saginaw, MI
Hello

It's time to get back on track. The 5 Day Pouch Test isn't the solution -- that's just another fad diet and we don't need diets now that we've got the best weight loss tool already inside our guts. So you just need to get yourself back to the basics of your eating plan and renew your commitment to be healthy. 

Here's a list of rules to follow to get back to basics

As for the question about diet pills. I'd advise against them. Last summer my PCP sent me to see an endocrinologist because I couldn't lose any more weight. Rather than actually doing anything medically for me, he just instantly put me on Adipex. It was the worst 3 months of my life. You can read more about it here. Plus, diet pills are a temporary fix, as soon as you go off them, you're right back where you started from and usually not with enough weight lost to do much good. It's recommended you only be on Adipex for 8 weeks max. 

Good luck!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Jess R.
on 1/30/11 5:56 am
I am currently working to get rid of a 70lb gain since I have had my daughter. I am a grazer snacker and went back to my old ways. I just ended my 5 day pouch test and let me tell you it is wonderful, it is not a diet, it too is a tool to get on track. I felt so out of control last week, I couldnt seem to stop snacking, and yes self control is most of it, the 5 day pouch test helps "detox" your body. I am proud to say I have not snacked once this week, (even went to the movies n hubby had popcorn and junk galore) I am also down 11 lbs already. I am back on track and feeling better than ever. I am back to protien first and water water water. I am determined to get my life back under control. Good luck on your journey.
(deactivated member)
on 2/2/11 1:20 am - United Kingdom
First of Do not be "Disgusted with yourself:" You are human and we all have struggles. You are still healthy and are alive even if not where you want your weight to be.

Do not mess yourself  up mentality by the  weight gain. Take your time and get back on track..Do not do anything drastic like diet pills etc... Diet pills have been causing serious heart attacks and death..avoid them.  Avoid the 5 day Pouch test..just go slow and natural 100% grain and fiber,fruit,protein,water

It is ok to snack and graze. Eat 100 %whole grain and fruits and the body will start to lose weight in a natural way. Yougurt is a great snack as well. The most important thing is to remember do not beat yourself up for weight gain. Just realize the weight came back and "slowly" make the right changes in diet.  Take care
Danielle Hodgins
on 2/18/11 1:54 am - My Happy Place, NY
Hey Gary ~

Congrats on facing the weight gain and being ready to tackle it.  It's easy to get off track and stay there so kudos to you for being ready to resolve it. 

The pouch tests are designed to help get you back on track, not for long term.  You've got to decide to make a commitment to eat healthy, and exercise for life.  A diet, or surgery, or pills, its all very temporary.  Change to a healthier lifestyle for good and you'll be feeling amazing, for good!

Definitely gotta cut the grazing.  I've found its best to have 5 distinct small meals a day.  First - determine what your caloric intake should be based on your age/height/weight and then plan your meals/snacks accordingly.  I also incorporate shakeology and drink it every day for added protein, it curbs the cravings, gives me energy and keeps me in optimal health.

Then find a workout you love.  I personally like home dvd programs like P90X, INsanity and TurboFire, but you've got to find one that works for you, that you enjoy and will stick with. 

You can do it if you put your mind to it.  Decide, commit to it, and you'll succeed!

Let me know if you have any questions.

HUGS!
Danielle
7-1/2 Yeears Post Op
Living the Dream!
~*~ Dani ~*~
RNY 8/19/03
How healthy and happy do you want to be?  It's a lifetime commitment.   You can do it.

Friend me on Facebook Too!  https://www.facebook.com/DanielleHodgins
tommie S.
on 2/22/11 4:17 am - AL
i have gained 36 lbs back. had my gastric in 2002. what is the 5 day pouch test .

seagypsy9389
on 3/17/11 2:31 am - Warner, NH
 I have too also gained back about 40 lbs and would like to know more about the pouch test you mentioned..thanks... have a good day..
tmcjdy
on 3/3/11 11:07 am - Phenix City, AL
I have gained back about 40 lbs since having my daughter and I have tried several different "fad" diets to no avail. I started the 5 day pouch test Monday and so far I have had good luck. I think, for me, it has been much better than a "fad" diet- as it only last for 5 days and basically brings you back to basics. I also have become a "grazer" and I also paid NO attention to the no dirnking 30 minutes before/after meals- so reading some of the info about the pouch test, I realized I am basically just rinsing all of those bad foods right into my intestines where they're turning into FAT! Makes sense to me. I hope I can continue on this track once I finish up my pouch test! I'm not sure it's an ultimate fix-all, but I definitely feel that the pouch test is a good way to get back on track.
Most Active