Severly anemic, but iron supps cause diarrhea

lizzybear
on 12/20/10 6:51 am, edited 12/20/10 6:52 am - Olympia, WA
My doc said my labs show I'm severly anemic and he wants me on iron supplements and re-tested in three months.  He said to be prepared to take a stool softener daily because the iron would cause constipation.

I decided to start out with a liquid iron and didn't even take a stool softener, thought I'd wait to see if I needed it after a day or so.  Good thing I didn't take it!  Within an hour of taking the iron I got diarrhea and feel sick for hours.  Thought it was a fluke, so I gave that three weeks thinking it would get better.  Nope.

So switched to chewable - same thing!  Three weeks of diarrhea within an hour or so of chewing the iron and then feeling sick for hours. 

Anyone have any ideas?  I've called the doctor - lots of help - was told, well you should be constipated, not diarrhea, why don't you keep trying it and see if it gets better.  Heck after three weeks on each type (liquid, chewable), I got to where I was barely eating because I can't always be home in the bathroom!  Lost 12 pounds, but that's not going to help the anemia. 

My next labs aren't for aother 3 weeks so he can tell me again how low my iron is.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

sfnativewm
on 12/23/10 11:53 pm

How about trying foods high in iron, liver, apricots I think spinach.   I suffer with IBS which causes me to have diarrhea  hate it when the dr can't see how certain food or vitamins cause it.    Maybe just google food high in iron and see what happens.  Good luck to you!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

morgansmommy
on 12/24/10 5:23 pm - Gig Harbor, WA
Try contacting VitaLady, many people swear by her iron. I tried it but still could not get my ferritan above 30. I had a few  iron infusions a year ago. I am going to get another one after the first of the year.
I could hardly tolerate iron and it was not being absorbed no matter what form I tried.
Mary
vitalady
on 12/28/10 11:53 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
The actual form of iron might be the problem. I don't mean liquid, but what it says on the box on the back. I use Tender iron which gave my bowels no change at all. It's cheap, chew or swallow.

Proferrin tends to have no effect, either, but it is expensive.

There are choices, many choices. No one should HAVE to be sick.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

lizzybear
on 12/29/10 12:59 am - Olympia, WA
Thanks for the ideas!  I'll try eating some more foods with iron and look for the Tender Iron and give it a try.  The one I have right now (that I have up on) is Flordix that I got from Super Supplements.  Just grabbed the first liquid iron bottle that I saw when I got in the store.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

plzmommy
on 1/6/11 12:11 am
I know several people who are WLS Patients including myself,  who can not take the supplements.  And my family struggles with reactions to the supplements as well. We have iron transfusions, My RNY surgeon gave me the referral, my PCP wouldnt he kept trying to shove the supplements on me, even when it was the surgeon who said it would take me 3 yrs on supp's to get my level to where it should be. That was scary!!! But once I had the script sent from my surgeon to my PCP it was a done deal and I had an appt a week later.

At first I went once a week for 6 or 7 weeks to a Hematologist, then had my iron tested, went back in 2 mos, had another transfusion and now wait 3 mos to return. Now we are just trying to figure out my maintenance schedule. I have a friend who goes once every 6 mos.

I would contact your surgeon or be sure you are seeing a Dr who is knowledgable of your new plumbing system and that you are no longer text book material.

Good luck to you.
Mary  

Proud Army Wife & Mom            
lizzybear
on 1/6/11 1:12 am - Olympia, WA
Thank you for your advice!  I've been dealing with my PCP and he has admitted to me every time he sees me that he just isn't sure what to do with me because I'm only one of two weight loss patients he has -- the other person had the lapband.  I just haven't taken the time to call around to local physicians to find one who knows how the RNY patient's new system works.  I'll call my surgeon and talk to him about this.  I hadn't even thought about working with him to get what I need from my PCP.  Thank you!

Trixie218
on 5/17/11 11:32 am - OH
 How are you doing with the iron  now?  I am just starting to have problems for at least a year probably.  I am taking the Bariatric Advantage supplments but they aren't really impacting my iron levels.  My rheumatologist just called me tonight about my levels and was concerned and my PCP is having me redo labs at the end of the month.
Sue (aka Trixie218)
Post-op, 45 yrs old, Ohio, 100# still off after 3 yrs
lizzybear
on 5/20/11 12:32 pm - Olympia, WA
My levels keep fluctuation from really low to almost normal, so I'm still working on it. My surgeon referred me to his clinic's gastroenterologist for some testing, which is next Monday afternoon. Then he's going to see what comes of those tests, then have me see their internist. I just tried to donate blood again today and was told, once again, that my iron level isn't high enough to donate. I keep trying and hoping (used to donate at work once a month), so excited to have some tests and see what happens.

plzmommy
on 1/6/11 1:17 am
You are very welcome. I am blessed with a great surgeon *****quires we do vitamin labs & other lab work in a follow up with him annually. I never hesitate to contact him or his nurses when I have questions or issues. No one knows my new system better than he does so I know I will be getting the best treatment I can find.

I was also very blessed with my new hematologist. When he saw my labs and found out I was a RNY patient, he went into super mode and explained everything about why my body cant absorb iron due to no doudenum etc and so I knew then and there I was in the right hands.

Good luck to you. Keep pushing, you know your body better than anyone. I hope everything turns out for the  best.

Mary  

Proud Army Wife & Mom            
Most Active