Hair loss after bypass surgery

SCARLETTE01
on 12/3/10 12:37 pm - Buffalo, NY
MY surgery was April 13, and the past 2 months or so I have noticed my hair has gotten A LOT thinner on top.....I take about 4-6 chewy vitamins, hair, skin and nail vitamins, and biotin, along with a b supplement. I know this can be a side effect of the surgery..but what else can I do to encourage the hair regrowth? Its not permanent is it? Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the help.
muchi909
on 12/28/10 10:22 am
My surgery date was May 6th.  My hair has been thinning out as well.  I am taking biotin and all the vitamins.  I spoke to my surgeon about it and he advised to make sure I was taking in all the protein.  So try that.  Permanent? I hope not for our sake... Good luck!
TRICKA
on 1/11/11 8:26 am
Same thing here.... My surgery was November 8th & my hair has thinned out  A LOT!! The doctor told me to take in more protein. I have been putting 2 scoops of protein powder in my shakes with water & fruit of my choice.  I hope it works. I also take extra biotin everyday. My hairdresser has me using Redkins damaged shampoo.  Hope things have gotten better for you both. I love to hear a update. 
Casee320
on 3/13/11 10:39 pm - CA
I have to agree that it's all about protein. I'm about to be 4 years post-op and I've really slacked on my protein and vitamins the whole time, but I've been improving that. After surgery, my hair had also thinned and fallen out alot, I lost about 50% thickness. About 2.5  years after, I noticed it finally start to grow back and get thicker, which made me soo happy. It's still coming back but it's not yet where it used to be, and I'm working hard to get as much protein in as I can. I also take Biotin everyday and bought Nioxin shampoo for 'Noticeably thinning hair' that one of my friend raved about.
reenee
on 2/6/11 9:16 am - Bay Area, CA
I am 5 yrs out and still have the hair loss problem. I can assure you it is a protein issue. When I eat my proteins....no hair loss. When I sluff off.....hair loss. I have always taken mega doses of biotin and hair & nail supplements and I really haven't seen that they really make any difference. The lack of protein intake definately does!!!!
Reenee
Most Active