12 wks post op - compromised immune system?

Stella_Bee01
on 10/14/10 10:44 pm
Hi All,  I'm on my third cold/flu virus since August.  RNY 7/2010.  All is going well, except catching everything!  Surgeon told me that following this type of surgery, my immune system may be compromised for several months post op.  I'm headed back to my family doctor this morning and want to ask about ways to improve my immune system.  I work in healthcare and can't go into flu season like this!  Wasn't able to get a flu shot due to immune system.   I've missed work and the boss is not happy.   I take the recommended multi vitamins from Bariatric Advantage, as well as B12.   Any suggestions?   Thanks!
rbb825
on 10/16/10 4:10 pm - Suffern, NY
I have an immune deficiency and was diagnosed in 2003.  For about 7 years prior, I just got infection after infection - it was nuts. I basically was on antibiotics for 7 years straight, no more than 10 days off of them at a time.  Finally after 7 years and lots of testing, they found out I have something called common variable immune deficiency. I went onto IV gamma globbulin and now I hardly ever get sick.  I did get strep throat last month and  about a year before that I had bronchitis but nothing like before. I used to have constant sinus infections and bronchitis but I still got a flu shot.  They just had to time it right.  It was actually imperititive that I get one since me being sick so much they were terrified what would happen if I got the flu.  As soon as I went off the antibiotics during the month of September, I got the shot.

I actually have never heard of us having a weakened immune system due to WLS.  You work in health care and this time of year people catch colds, sore throats, etc.  As long as you dont' have a current infection, there is no reason you can't get the flu shot.  Actually having a weakened immune system is one of the reasons to get a flu shot.  IF you read the risk factors for getting the flu shot - weakened immune system is on the list.  But believe me 3 times in 3months is not a weakened immuned system.    When I had the trouble - I had 10-12 times in 3 months. That is a weakened immuned system.

I am not leasening what you are going through - it sucks getting sick.  take some extra vitamin C, maybe some echinacea.  Gets lots of sleep and wash your hands constantly.

Is that all you are taking - multi and B12?  You should be taking 1500-1800mg of calcium citrate, carbonyl iron plus vitamin C, dry vitamin D3, vitamin B1

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/10 1:00 pm
IMO - yes we do.  Way you can help is to make sure you get all the vitamins and minerals needed.  IMO - important is to get probiotics. I try to take them every day.
having high b12, vit D  levels may help with immune system

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

GordonGirl
on 10/19/10 12:09 am - SoCal, CA
Good Morning,

I haven't had as much as a "sniffle" since my RNY 2 years ago! I am a nurse practitioner with three kids and exposed to viruses and the like everyday! I believe leading a healthier, leaner life loaded with exercise has fortified my immune system. I get the flu shot every year, too. I believe illness and the like are environment related. It's what you are exposed to on a daily basis that determines how and what you get. Because of the RNY we are no more at risk of illness as the next person...it's a matter of defense and how you choose to maintain your body.

Have a powerful day! Debbie
Most Active