Jejunal ulcer

spokanelady
on 10/8/10 10:50 am - Spokane, WA
I had surgery May 4th.2010. Now I have a jejunal ulcer. I throw up a lot. Cannot eat chicken or pork chops. I can handle beef. Anyone out there that has this same problem. I am going on a trip to Ireland real soon and need some ideas on what to eat.  Potatoes hate me!! Help!!!!!
rbb825
on 10/8/10 3:07 pm - Suffern, NY
What treatment did they put you on?  To treat an ulcer, you need to be on a PPI - protonix, prevacid, nexium or prilosec and carafate.  The combination of the 2 drugs will help heal the ulcer.  It can take from 8-12 weeks though. YOu have to be careful of what you eat, try to eat softer foods, avoid spicy, acidic foods - no citrus, chocolate, caffeine, mints, milk products.

rexysmamma
on 11/10/10 3:40 am
i would ditto the above response. Chew, chew and chew so more, too. Make sure your food is almost liquid before swallowing and take your time to eat. At least 30 minutes to eat! This is no joke. My dr. put me on the prevacid for 2 weeks and everything stopped.
Are you doing mashed potatoes? Make them with milk and very small amount of butter if any at all.
Mashed potatoes usually works good for me. As far as meat, try tuna salad in the blender. U may have to go to liquid and then graduate again. I have to do that sometimes to get things a going again.
Good Luck!
Julie in Illinois
Johna "Diane" A.
on 11/23/10 3:01 pm - Mineral Wells, WV
Hello. My surgery was April 14, 2010. Two months later I started vomiting and having very sharp burning pains in my pouch that went through to my back. I am now battling them again! I spent 2 weeks in the hospital where mine had gotten so bad and I was very dehydrated. I'm on carafate liquid 4 times a day. I know that my pouch tollerates low fat yogurt well. It coats and sooths it. Also sugar free popcicles help. I drink skim milk which helps coat the pouch to. Low fat cream soups like cream of chicken or cream of mushroom are comforting also. I hope this helps you!

God Bless us one and all.  May he give us the Strength, Courage and Wisdom for our daily journey.            
Most Active