Has anyone tried the "fullbar"

Shelley L.
on 9/18/10 2:35 pm - overland park, KS

I'm desperately seeking some help. I have an enormous appetite, I never feel satisfied accept immediately after eating, fortunately my pouch is still working well and I get full fast. However, that full feeling doesn't last long. I dont' drink with my meals. So I dont' know what I'm doing wrong. 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

nancetx
on 9/19/10 8:36 am - Midland, TX
Shelly,

I am reading posts and came by yours.  First off, congratulations on how you have continued to improve after your WLS.  I'm just beginning my journey.

I too am looking for dietary info on here and help.  Hopefully, someone answers you so I can glean assistance from your post.

Take care,

Nan
Thank you God!  Nan
Shelley L.
on 9/19/10 11:50 am - overland park, KS

Good luck with your journey, I never thought in a million years I'd be where I'm at today, but I'm slipping and it's a slippery slope to get on. I'm almost 2 years out, hard to believe! My lowest was 194, my highest was 349, my next goal was to get to 189, I have not seen an 8 in that spot since I was a child. So, yes I've come a LONG way, I'm currently 203, so I've got to get back on track. I'm starting with getting back into exercise, and I've just spent a HUGE amount at the grocery store to try to get some healthy recipes and foods going. I'm determined to lose these last 50 pounds, even if it takes another 2 years, as long as the scale is moving down I dont' care how slow!

rbb825
on 9/19/10 4:05 pm, edited 9/19/10 4:08 pm - Suffern, NY
They dont' have enough protein to warrant the calories. Also they wont' do what you want them to do. The idea for normal people is to drink a full glass of water and then eat a full bar - this could be dangerous for us - they blow up and could stretch our pouch. I know someone that did that with the full bites and got really sick. I sometimes eat the fullbites for a snack but never near any fluids. They have more protein than the bars but still too many calories. Also, very expensive

If you are getting hungry so fast - how often are you eating? What are you eating? How much protein per day? How much fluids? You should be getting atleast 100 plus grams of protein per day and 80 ounces of fluids per day. Eating 6 small meals per day, every 2-3 hours will help optimize your metabolism and minimize hunger. Each of these meals needs to include protein. Adding protein drinks helps fill you up too. If you are eating too many carbs, that increases your hunger also.

Shelley L.
on 9/19/10 9:33 pm - overland park, KS

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of, and btw, the fullbar tasted like A** haha

I'm trying to increase fluids and protein, I do protein drinks and protein bars. I'm eating pretty frequently. If I don't I start wanting to eat my arm, because I can only eat so little at a time, my pouch is doing it's job, I just need to eat better. I do eat too many carbs, I started tracking my food again, so I can see exactly what I'm doing. 

Thanks

Shelley

colo_girl
on 9/26/10 2:01 am - Arlington, VA
REALIZE Band on 06/23/10 with
I have trouble getting enough fiber, they say it helps you feel full.  So, I started taking a fiber choice chewable with water if i get hungry between meals.  it definitely helps. 

Mary Catherine
on 10/5/10 6:03 am

DO NOT EAT FULLBARS - they were developed by a gastric bypass surgeon as a way for non-WLS patients to feel as full as people who have had the surgery.  He warns his WLS patients NOT to eat them.  They will expand in the pouch and cause stretching or even bursting of the pouch.  DO NOT EAT THEM.

Dr MIchael Snyder's website is http://www.fullbar.com.  They would be wonderful for pre-ops and non-WLS patients, but not for us.

I am finding Weigh****chers to be very helpful with controlling my regain.  I was amazed when I started tracking food by how many Weigh****cher points I was taking in and thinking I was eating healthy choices.  Weight loss surgery is wonderful for the first two years, but then you need a different type of support is you want to maintain and not regain.

I really don't think it is possible for a normal person to keep weight off without hanging around something like Weigh****chers.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/10 4:51 pm
hi shelly, i also tried the fullbar and i thought it was "ok" it really didn't help me to feel full. what i am realizing is that no matter what "we" as overweight people eat or don't or what surgery we get , it all ends up being the same problem. it's not about the food, and it is!! i have come to really realize that . i have thought of every way to stop eating. every diet. it gets to be an obsession . again .get the surgery, obsess about what you can and cannot eat. don't get it, same problem. constant talk about the almighty subject FOOD. puree it, soft foods ,liquid diets. how can we get around it and just eat. sneak in flavors .it is defiantly an illness of the body and mind. finally my advice, and you can tell me where to go if ya want.... read about how you can restore some sanity "food addiction" by kay sheppard. is an older book with pretty good advice. i am nowhere near my goal. iam just trying to survive this battle also. best wishes to you . sincerely ,linkee 
Mrs B.
on 10/10/10 7:04 pm
I too have a huge appetite, and while I do fill up fairly fast, my pouch is shaped such that it is long but shallow, and empties out quickly.  I've spent the past six months or so trying to figure out what to do, and wound up seeing a gastric surgeon (my bypass was years ago and different insurance, so i can't see my origional doc) about trying to lose weight.

The strategy I came up with is to eat frequently, but always 'safe' solutions and try to have things that are quick and easy and readily available.  I have things stocked that would take no longer than a snicker bar to open, and that's important!  I have unsalted dry roasted nuts that I keep on the counter in my kitchen and will grab a handful while walking through the room.  I bought some fullbars but after reading the label I knew that they wouldn't work for me.  Waaay too many carbs and calories.  I am hooked now on Atkins bars.  They are actually tasty (I LOVE the chocolate/coconut ones!) and are fantastic on the run.  With 5 or 6 net carbs and 150 calories, I'm in love. 

I also eat small portions of lowfat cottage cheese, a string cheese now and then, small portion of grape nuts for breakfast...lots of yummy things that I enjoy and don't feel like I'm missing out.  I keep raisins and baby carrots on hand for 'emergencies' when I otherwise would tell myself that I "had" to swing through a taco bell drive through.

The cottage cheese is really good for being something heavy enough to stay in my stomach for a longer period of time, and another thing I will do is keep a boneless skinless chicken breast in the fridge from family dinner that is good cold or hot from the microwave.  If I'm in a hurry I don't think about side dishes...I just cut that chicken into bites, maybe a quarter size blob of bbq sauce if I feel like it...eat it and go.  That carries me for at least two hours, which is good enough to last from 12-5pm when I can do dinner with the hubby and kids.
DCGirl26
on 10/21/10 7:09 am - London, UK
Hi Shelley, I know you wrote this a while ago but I wonder how you are doing with your plan to get back on track. Reading your story it sounds almost identical to mine. I was 341 pre-op, got down to 183 at my lowest and am now 206 and TERRIFIED of gaining. My appetite freaks me out and I really miss the honeymoon stages of not wanting to eat a morsel of food! I've been using the Back on Track group here to try and stay accountable and one thing I can say that I've been doing lately that has helped is eating slower. I find that if I take the full 30 minutes to eat my meal I feel fuller longer. Let me know how you're doing, best of luck!

Steph

Back on track as of 11/1/2014

341/183/263/150
HW/LW/CW/GW

Weight loss goal:
Back to Onederland by 3/26/2015

Most Active