green smoothies

Shelley L.
on 9/6/10 11:56 pm - overland park, KS

have you heard of these, my chiropractor acctually recommended them a while back. It's made with raw foods and some kind of greens, like spinach, kale, bok choy, etc. usually a fruit, like mango, melon, etc.

I don't eat a lot of fruit, cuz of the carb/sugar content but I think these will help me get some nutritin in my diet.

Right now i eat like crap, mostly precooked, prepackages type foods. I'm nearly 2 years out from surgery, I've lost 150lbs, but haven't lost a pound in about a year, have gained a few than lose a few.

I'm really going to try to get back on track, I bought another book with some good protein recipes, and I'm going to try cooking more. 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

dmoore1162
on 9/7/10 9:54 am
I am with you shelly.  I have not heard of green smoothies, I have issues with eating green things - I can do a lot of green veggies, but they have I don't think I could do a green smoothie.

I am working on getting back on track.  I have gained about 20lbs over the past 15 months.  My goal for the fall is to lose those 20lbs.  I am concentrating on gettin my water in and eliminating snacking. 

cooking your own food is a great plan.  Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
Delores Moore
it's never too late

Christine N.
on 9/14/10 7:42 am - Rahway, NJ
YES!!! I have heard of green smoothies - and I have eaten them! I'm thrilled to see someone post about them!

Personally, I think they are delicious. I like that I'm getting great nutrition (benefits of eating raw) and it also helps things like energy and  skin elasticity!!

I'm getting banded so I'm not sure how they will fit into my new lifestyle of eating. One thing that might be a concern for you is that you have to add a couple servings of fruit which equal high sugar content, and you mentioned your watching your intake. You'll add more fruit in the beginning to kind of cover up the bitterness from the greens, then you'll start to crave more greens and your taste will adjust and you'll be using less fruit. One of the sites listed below says "don't worry about" the sugar intake. But I suggest talking to a nutritionist (mine said it seems fine, but we didn't go into much detail about them...she also said to add protein powder).

I've done a TON of reading on them - so let me know what questions you have. here are some of the best sites for an intro to green smoothies:

What is a live green smoothie anyway?

common green smoothie questions

I can't find the other site I like, but those should get you started.

Shelley L.
on 9/14/10 11:57 am - overland park, KS

Thanks so much for the info. I do tolerate the fruits OK, and I think the nutrients are good for me, and I do try to add protein powder, but I have found using nectar whey, it makes it foam up pretty bad, is there a way to avoid this? Do you know which protein powder might be best? 

I definitely feel like I get more greens when I'm having them. I do eat salad but not very often because it makes me so full then I can't eat anything else, which isn't necessarily a bad thing..haha

I would think with banding you would do fine. It's my understanding liquids are tolerated well, and I would think it would be a great way of getting your nutrients, however, you might not feel satisfied, since it's just going to go straight through and you obviously would have to drink it slower than what you might be used to? But, that's just my guess, I don't know as much about banding since I had RNY. 

Thanks for the websites, I will check them out. I also bought a book with TONS Of recipes. I'd also be curious about what things I could add, like bee pollen for example, or dandelion root for liver cleanse. 

I also only used a small amount of fruit, my favorite one I made, used frozen mango pieces, a banana, a little watermelon, and then spinach, it was FABULOUS, and usually made about 2 servings each about 20oz. I had trouble trying to calculate it for my daily plate log. I suppose if I weighed the fruit and such, I could calculate it more accurately. 

347/194-back up to 215/189  48lbs lost before surgery!

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/22/10 6:58 am
I add greens to my shakes.  But the greens have its own "taste" and I needed time to get used to that.  Now - I love it.  I was drinking that llong before RNY. 

My fav is Superfood  by Doc Shultz.  IMO - it is accared taste.
i also like "Greens Plus high protein whey krisp bars" all natural bars.  To me - they taste great. 
I do not like nectar.
I decided to follow a "clean " diet and i am cleaning my diet form artificial sweeteners and flavors.  I try to use all  natural protein powder ( with stevia) Lately I use a lot of " About time whey" ( whey isolate) and MRM brand (for whey concentrate) (bought can be purchesed at good price in Luckyvitamins.com

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-25547-greens-plus-high-protein -whey-krisp-2-oz

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

nancetx
on 9/19/10 8:41 am - Midland, TX
Best to you on your upcoming lapband!
Thank you God!  Nan
Lisa R.
on 10/3/10 4:34 pm - Dallas, TX
I have a "green" shake (or two) every day and really, really enjoy them!!  I'm so hoping that after surgery I'll be able to tolerate them.  I used my last packet today but when I go to Central Market I will repost the name of the brand I've been using. There isn't much of a taste - ok, maybe a very slight "green" taste depending on which flavor your purchase. The brand I purchase has Greens, Chocolate, Acai and...hmm.....I think it was carrot/sweet potato? I have tried them all and the only one that tastes much different is the Acai. It has more of a berry flavor.

Though each come in canisters like protein, I purchase the smaller packets so I can keep one or two in my purse. Like protein powders, there are some "just okay" quality greenies and some really good ones. Of course it comes down to what you like and can tolerate. Usually Central Market and Whole Foods are good about having small packets to try. I'm sure vitamin shops do as well. Good luck and let us know what you think of the green shakes!

5 ft. 0 in.  HW/242      SW/236     CW/216    GW/120?

brilynn79
on 10/7/10 1:20 pm
I love adding spinach.  I don't taste it, but I don't like to use a clear glass either, the green color is a little bit to get used to.

Most Active