Almond or Coconut Flour?

MommyosaRose
on 8/25/10 12:11 pm
I have found some recipes that call for almond flour and some that call for coconut flour but I never used or even heard of them before RNY and don't know the difference.

Is there a difference besides the obvious almond/coconut?
Can either be used on a recipe that calls for a specific one?
Which would be better for our diet and pouch?
Do you know any other flour

I have been using the Atkins All purpose baking mix for some of my baking but am not sure if I can use it in the recipes that specifically call for them.

Thanks,
Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

randy777
on 8/27/10 3:23 am - Schaumburg, IL
Suprised you are finding the Atkins baking mix.

Have only used almond and coconut flours as goatings and prefer coconut as almond has a mealy texture.

Randy

So you have been forgiven?

MommyosaRose
on 8/27/10 3:38 am
I get the Atkins Mix at Amazon.com. Best price I could find so far.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JIO0RU/ref=oss_product

Coconut seems to be the preferred choice on my other posts as well.

Thanks for your reply!
Rose

~Starting Weight: 261 lbs~~Pre-Op Weight: 241 lbs~
~Current Weight: 155 lbs~

"Just when the Caterpillar thought her life was over, She began to fly..." 

Patty B.
on 8/27/10 3:54 am
Do you have a Raleys near by.  Mama Rosa.  I scored almond flour there for 10.00!  It's a little expensive but I've been looking a long time for it.  I thought I was gluten intolerant and was surprised to find it locally.  You can also get it at Amazon..I just wasn't ready to pay mailing until I exhausted where I was looking.  It's Bob's Red Hill organic flours.  I never have seen the Atkins flour so I'm glad you scored that one.  I haven't ran across the coconut flour just tapioca flour.  I'm not gluten intolerant..so I cook theworldaccordingtoeggface.com and she uses almond flour at chiristmas.  Love patty

Mary Catherine
on 10/13/10 12:09 pm
Linda, who is our cooking and baking expert on the BariactricEating site just did a wonderful piece on types of flours.

You can find it at http://www.beforeandafterhelp.com/index.php?showtopic=76296& hl=flour

Patty B.
on 10/14/10 1:26 am
Sorry Mary I have tried that site and what I made my DH couldn't tolerate.  Crazy it was rolls with egg whites...I stick with theworldaccordingtoeggface...everything I've made thru her has turned out wonderful...with the exception of veggie lasagna and protein ice cream that just didn't taste right...was it the protein I was using?  Probably!  Love Patty

Most Active