150 grams of Proteint per day

BIRDMANJ17
on 8/16/10 12:38 am - Camp Hill, PA
My wife is now moving to the regular food diet stage and is told she should have 150 grams of protein per day.  We've done so well with staying to the exact plan as given by the nutritionist and surgeon, but this new stage has given her a lot of anxiety.  150 grams per day seems like a very high number.

Are there any suggestions out there on how we can achieve this more easily with minimizing the horrible tasting protein drinks and without breaking the bank.

Thanks,
Jay
vitalady
on 8/16/10 4:34 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Which protein drinks do you use? Made up h ow?

I do 180g protein shakes daily, unless I'm stressed. Was stressed to the max last week, had 9 shakes or 270g protein. No, I don't think I can absorb that many back to back, but picture me as a chain smoker way back when and you get the idea.

Fortunately, I don't count calories in my proteins, I enjoy them very much and they don't knock out my regular eating, however they do curtail "illegal" eating, as in unplanned.

I don't count any protein foods as protein.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

rbb825
on 8/16/10 2:24 pm - Suffern, NY
What do you mean you don't count protein food as protein?  That is where most of us get our protein.  I know you are different and drink tons of shakes - 9 in a day that is execessive even for you.

I think that NUT that was telling a newbie to get 150mg of protein is crazy.  There is no way someone starting out could get that much in.

vitalady
on 8/17/10 7:26 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Never did count food as protein. It isn't worth much to me in that form.

True, I'm a distal, so plumbed like a DS. They start the DS and distals here on 150g of supps. And the docs don't count food, either.

I'm not saying anyone needs to do what I do. I'm a quit smoker. Picture someone who paces and smokes while stressed. That'd be me. No cigs for 22 yrs, so the sub for me is another protein shake. Keeps my fingers out of the cookie jar, so to speak. Can't hold more volume, so I still do 30g increments. I think the whole thing is sort of that mindless routine action.

When we had the big EQ here in 2001, my house continued to sway for several minutes. Living in WA and CA, it's not like EQ are a new thing, but this one acted differently than others, really freaked me out, especially as I heard things crashing in the kitchen.

I ran out to get a protein (which is the first time I REALIZED it was my response to Freak Out Mode), but there was glass all over the floor. Ran back to my room, put on shoes with soles, waded back thru the glass and FIRST made a protein before I realized the ONLY stuff that broke was family heirlooms, not the cheap-but-pretty stuff I got at yard sales. More Freak Out. Wished I smoked. LOL

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

rbb825
on 8/16/10 2:27 pm - Suffern, NY
How far out is she? For a new post op, the norm is 60grams. I have never heard of anyone starting out with the requirement so high and see how it could be possible.  I add a scoop and a half of chocolate whey protein to no sugar added hot chocolate and this gives me 35grams of protein per mug. It is delicious and I do it 2 times per day.  You can do the same thing with unflavored protein in coffee or tea.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/10 7:10 am
I have no probelm getting my 100+ gr of protein in shakes.
But I use whey isolate - and since it is thin - I can mix 2 scoops in 12 oz of liquid.  have that 2 x  a day.  barely even notice the proteins in them.  
My initial goal was 80 gr of prot a day - and I was able to meet that.    most days - from the beginning.  The only days I didn't was the days of surgery (ies) and the day or 2 after ...
My proteins are still low normal... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/10 7:11 am
I have no probelm getting my 100+ gr of protein in shakes.
But I use whey isolate - and since it is thin - I can mix 2 scoops in 12 oz of liquid.  have that 2 x  a day.  barely even notice the proteins in them.  
My initial goal was 80 gr of prot a day - and I was able to meet that.    most days - from the beginning.  The only days I didn't was the days of surgery (ies) and the day or 2 after ...
My proteins are still low normal... 

I currently use About time whey protein - it is all natural whey isolate. Not very sweet. IMO.
you can try samples at www.tryabouttime.com

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

getinlean1
on 12/14/10 7:08 am
My brother just under went surgery this past year and had a tough time with many of the protein supplements on the list. He recently found a protein bar that he raves about as having great taste with no sugar or sugar alcohols, they're called  Quest protein bars. I went to their site and they look really good. Has anyone tried them?
Most Active