Underweight and can't stop losing!

Crystal Mulrine
on 8/13/10 8:42 am - Williamsburg, VA
 It's been two years and nine months since I got my RNY Bypass. I started at 303 lbs, and I'm far past my original goal of 150 lbs.

I'm 5'9" and now 125 lbs. I look like a walking skeleton (never thought that I'd complain about that). I have little to no appetite and I'm full within just a few bites. I don't really care about what I'm eating anymore. I haven't looked at fat or sugar content of what I eat for about a year and a half now, since I'm aware of the few things that'll make me feel sick. I don't really exercise either. Plus, I'm anemic. 

Either way, I can't put on weight for the life of me, and it's starting to get scary. Simply eating more is quite difficult for me since I feel full so quickly. The only thing that'll give me a healthy appetite is smoking marijuana, however it's very expensive and my schoolwork suffers for it, so it's not a realistic long-term solution  I really need to know how to put on some weight or I'm going to waste away.

Oh, and I'm a cigarette smoker. I know that smoking is one of the main reasons that I've gotten this skinny, but at this point quitting is not an option, and I'm trying to save money for an electronic cigarette. Please do NOT lecture me about how I should quit. I'm aware of that. I'm here looking for less obvious solutions. 

Any suggestions?
rbb825
on 8/13/10 2:30 pm - Suffern, NY
If you can't eat more have you tried adding calories by drinking more protein drinks.  This can add calories.  Try adding 2 scoops of protein powder instead of 1 and use milk, this all adds calories.  I add 1 1/2 calories to no sugar added hot chocolate and it is delicious.  If you did it with 2 scoops, it would be about 350 calories for one mug.  You use swiss miss no sugar added hot chocolate 60 calorie packets. Then add some milk for flavor and to cool it down a bit - also adds more protein.   Also add more carbs to your meals if possible - a piece of bread, maybe a potato or some rice daily.  For a snack have popcorn or pretzel.  Also, if you can't eat much at a time, eat often - like 6 times per day. 

have you followed up with your nutritionist at all?  I think you should.

vitalady
on 8/16/10 4:42 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
I'm a quit smoker, 3 packs/day, so not lecuring. Just letting you know that smoking can cause marginal ulcer, which in turn can cause nausea and lack of appetite. Just sayin'.

What exactly is your protein supplement and vitamin regimen?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/17/10 7:15 am
Soft foods and drinking with food allows you to eat more...
I had to do that for a while... when i ws losing toomuch and it did not feel right.
B****he low iron may cause lack of appetite. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active