Chewable Vitamin D

kevjack77
on 8/1/10 10:28 am
Hi Everybody,

This is just a tip for those of you who may be having problems with vitamin D. My levels were low and the existing pills were not raising my levels. The combination of Citrical with D3 and my D3 supplement I was taking 3000IU per day and it was not raising my levels.

Before starting a 50,000IU regimen, my doctor suggested that a chewable might work better as it would probably be better digested (sort of like what we do with B12).  He was right-- I started taking the chewable forms of D3 and my levels increased. 

For those who are interested I found 3 really good options you may want to try:

1) Nature Made now makes a chewable D3.  It is 400IU per chew, and it tastes really good. Great for those who have good levels now. If you need to raise your level it is too much to take every day (more than 10 chews will just drive you crazy).

2) GNC makes a chewy 1000IU D3 that taste *really* good.  By FAR my favorite. You will honestly think it is a Tootsie roll!!  I love them!  The best option if you take less than 3000IU or so per day.   This is what I use now-- it's like a candy treat.

3) KAL makes a 5000IU chewable D3 that is peppermint flavored.  It is really good.  For those who need to raise their levels this is probably your best option.  I was taking 2 of these per day to get my levels up and now just use the GNC chews.

I hope this helps!

rbb825
on 8/1/10 4:35 pm - Suffern, NY
I am sorry but taking a chewable with 400units, 1000 units will do absolutely nothing for someone with low vitamin D levels.  Even 5,000 units won't do much.  If you were taking 10,000 units to get your levels up and that is a minimum dose, why did you cut your dose back to 3,000 units?  you level is just going to plummet back to where it was.  You need to continue on the 10,000 units per day. Also, what do you consider a good vitamin D level?  You want your vitamin D level to be between 80 and 100.  I take 50,000 unit of Dry D3 - 3 times per week and my level is 89 - that is perfect.  Preop, my level was 16.

Lisa_Marie_
on 9/24/10 9:50 am - Apple Valley, MN
I currently take 50,000 units once a week in a small gel cap. Will I be able to continue taking my same gel caps that I am taking now when I get my surgery or should I go to the store and purchase some chewable D3's now? I am having my surgery on the 4th of October, so in a week and a half.
Lisa Marie    
kevjack77
on 8/1/10 11:38 pm
I have been tracking my vitamin D for a while now (2 years), as this was an issue for me preop.  My levels are now in the 70s (which is really good) and I have been taking 3000IU to 5000IU per day per my doctor since I finally got my levels up a few months back.   My Dr. and I check my D levels every 60 days, and since I have been on this regimen they have been fine (going on 6 months now).

An issue for me is that the pills were not working as well as they should have been, and rather than try 50,000IU doses my Dr. and I decided to see if chewable forms would be better absorbed (just a hunch really given what we have to do with B12), and this happened to work for me.  It may not work for others-- this is very individual.  But I thought I would share since I don't see a lot of people talking about chewable D3.

One thing I have found is that Vit D is very individual, and levels change with the seasons as we get more or less sun exposure, the color of your skin, etc.  The New York Times just had a great story on Vit D that everyone should check out. 

My post was just to let people know that, whether they need their levels up or just need to maintain, there are now some chewable sources that may lead to better absorbption. 
Lisa_Marie_
on 8/27/10 7:46 am - Apple Valley, MN
Thank you so much for sharing your experience!
Lisa Marie    
Jesse_James
on 9/16/10 3:37 pm
I think the problem you had can be pretty common.  That the tablets just don't dissolve and most of it comes right out in the poop or something.

loose -- (adj)  not tight
lose - (verb)  to rid oneself of

rbb825
on 9/24/10 11:55 am - Suffern, NY
I am glad to see that the chewables are working for you at such a low dosage.  I can say that the reason the pills werent' working for you is that they werent' dry D3, they may have even been D2.  Post RNY, we need Dry D3 (water sulable) in order to be able to absorb the vitamin D and the chewable D3 is okay also.  For most of us, 3,000 to 5,000 units per day is just a drop in the bucket.  Also, while 70 is a decent level, I wouldnt' be happy enough with it. Optimal levels are between 80 and 100 in order to get protection from Osteoporosis and certain cancers.  My levels were at 89 for a long time and my last testing came back at 107 which made overjoyed. I have a terrible family history of osteorosis plus many risk factors myself that I need to be very careful.  So, if taking some extra vitamin D to make lessen my risk - it is worth it to me. I currently take 50,000 units of Dry D3 - 3 times per week  and will continue to do this.  You might want to try to increase your dosage a bit to try to get into the optimal range.

susieq147
on 11/4/10 4:29 am - AZ
All,

This is the product I take.  I am a three years post op.  I take this line of supplements as they are in powdered form, called Isotonix.  Iso means same pressure.  So, they are like having an IV directly into your bloodstream.  You get 95 to 98% absorbtion, however, we are not normal people, but you do get the highest volume of absorbtion that our bodies can take.   I didn't like the chewables and if I had to chew another flintstone vitamin I was going to lose it!  :)   These taste good and are quick delivery.  Please check with your doctor before taking any new product, but I do know that many bariatric clinics are using this line.

This is my website and would love to have you take a look, read the reviews and see what yo think.  My only mission here is to help you get the best health with our cir****tances.

"http://mawidget.marketamerica.com/PD.aspx?wid=13019&prodID=13324&pcID=584E5A7D504B5C&portalID=janetsshoppingmall&refEmail=070508220B1E594F2332041102194D280A14&prdCountry=USA&merchCountry=USA&format=json">>

Best wishes everyone!
Janet "Susie" King
Chandler, AZ
Lisa_Marie_
on 9/24/10 9:51 am - Apple Valley, MN
Where can I find the KAL 5000 unit chewables? Is there a store that carries them?
Lisa Marie    
Most Active