How much protein can your bdy absorb at once?

brilynn79
on 7/22/10 2:05 pm
I am thinking the answer is 25 grams?  Does anyone know the answer?
Jesse_James
on 7/22/10 5:29 pm
Unless you have some sort of intestinal disease, as much as you can shove in.

loose -- (adj)  not tight
lose - (verb)  to rid oneself of

kbowman2
on 7/23/10 9:00 am
I have heard from many reliable websites and sources that the most WLS patients can absorb at a time after surgery is 30 grams.  Now, if you haven't had WLS then I think it's around 40-45.

Kim
Heaviest 397/ Before Surgery 367/ Lowest 170/ Current 185

rbb825
on 7/23/10 5:26 pm - Suffern, NY
There is no proof that we can only absorb 30 grams at a time just alot of people spreading that around.  It is just best for you energy wise to divide it up throughout the day.

Jesse_James
on 7/25/10 3:53 pm
There might be an issue for RNY due to the intestinal bypass.  But it won't be the same for VSG.

tknow1978
on 7/26/10 2:45 pm - Pensacola, FL
From what I have read the amount of protein one can absorb varies daily, hourly.  As I understand the amount of absorbable protein is dependan on a protein/nitrogen balance.  I don't remember the exact chemistry of it though.  The 30 grams is an average suggestion that is often given, but peole who lift weights are thought to be able to absorb more due to their needs and resultant chemical balances.  I don't feel like I have explained this well, because I can't remember the exact mechanics.  Anyway it's food for thought.
Cindy C.
on 8/6/10 1:35 am
I have read that more than 30 grams "may" be hard on your kidneys.  I don't recall if that is just for WLS patients or everyone.  I am thinking it is just WLS patients.  The best way to find out, is talk to the dietician or nutritionist that works with your surgical weight loss program. 

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Jesse_James
on 8/6/10 4:34 pm
Unless you have severe renal failure, that's completely wrong.

Cindy C.
on 8/7/10 12:10 am
Thanks for the info.  I have read so much thru the past few years.  I believe there are many myths out there. 

Cindy

Height 5' 1"   WLS on 12/05/07      Plastics on 04/27/09                                 

Most Active