Ferritin Levels Dropping

Deb B.
on 6/7/10 7:46 am - East Bay Area, CA
Hi All,

I am 8 mos out.  I just got updated labs done after my 6 mos as my iron was low at my 6 mos.
I just got back my ferritin levels and this is what I've got

Name Standard Range 2/17/06 2/22/10 6/3/10
FERRITIN (ng/mL) 22-291 ng/mL 43 29 17

As you can see 4 years ago preop  it was much higher.  and in just 3 or so months I have dropped over 10 pts.    I'm below the standard range minimums. 

Few questions.
What would you do with these results?
Energy wise I am spunt by 3 in the afternoon but thought that was normal but maybe this is why? 
What forms of iron have no rules? 
Can I take Carbonyl form of iron at anytime with food and other supplements?  

rbb825
on 6/7/10 3:08 pm, edited 6/9/10 3:30 pm - Suffern, NY

They have actually been low all along. We like them to be between 100 and 200, so you really need a jump.

You definitely want to take carbonyl iron with vitamin C and away from calcium and any thyroid medication. As far as food, no dairy since you don't want it with any calcium and dairy has calcium in it. The best carbonyl iron is at vitalady.com = tender iron 60mg per capsule and it already has the vitamin C in the capsules. With your ferritin level, I would take atleast 3 a day. My ferritin is 48 and I take 3 a day. Some with your levels take up to 5 a day, it depends on how well you absorb it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/9/10 2:38 am
Go to the main board and ask Andrea- check her blog vitagarden... She has bunch of info...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mrs B.
on 10/10/10 8:03 pm
I have fought this all year, and had to have a hysterectomy in my case.  What turned me around were iron infusions, daily floradix (sp?) and zipfizz energy drink (as much as I can drink).  It's great for your B12, which is huge...I could not get my B12 up off the ground for nothin!
Good luck to you!
Most Active