Need a vitamin list...

Fay B.
on 6/4/10 1:45 am - Jackson, WY

Hello!

I am currently 18 months out from gastric bypass, down 90 pounds, and am lucky to have had no complications.   I took a bunch of supplements for the first year, but have gotten off track, and can't remember what all I took.

I take a daily sublingual b12, but no other supplements.  Can anyone give me some advice on what I should be taking?

Thanks!!

rbb825
on 6/4/10 3:53 pm - Suffern, NY

You need to get back on supplements and fast.  You need to take them for the rest of your life and can't stop them. It is very important.  Due to the malabsorbtion, you are at risk for many vitamin and mineral deficiencies - it is very likely that  you have some now since you haven't been taking anything other than B12.  You need to get to your surgeon or PCP and get a full blood workup as soon as possible.

Here is  a list of labs that you need to get done:

CBC, Comprehesive Metabolic Panel, Iron, TIBC, Iron Sat %, Ferritin, B12, Folate, Vitamin D ( 25 Hydroxy), Phosporus, Calcium, PTH, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, Lipid Panel, Zinc, Magnesium, Selenium, Copper, Vitamin B1 (Whole Blood), B6,  TSH and T3, HemA1C

Here is the list of supplements you need to take:

Multivitamin - centrum is a great multi either pills or chewables.  I recommend the silver since it has no iron in it, you can take it with your calcium, makes dosing easier - in the chewables, the silver tastes better.

Calcium - you need to take 1500-1800mg of calcium citrate a day in 3 daily doses, atleast 2 hours apart and not within 2 hours of your iron or thyroid medication -  no more than 650mg at a time.  You can either take pills - citrical maximums - 2 tablets 3 times per day or chewables from bariatric advantage - they can send you samples. I love the cherry lozenges and the raspberry chewies - I take one of each, 3 times per day.

B12 - sublingual 1000mcg daily minimum and adjust based on your labs, many need more than that or you can do injections.

iron - you need a minimum of 45-60mg of carbonyl iron daily.  You can either get it locally as Feosol but make sure it says carbonyl on the box and take it with vitamin C.  200mg of vitamin C per 30mg of iron or go to vitalady.com and get Tender iron 60mg capsules they already have the vitamin c in them.

Vitamin D- minimum of 5,000 units of Dry D3, most need much more than that.  Most of us are vitamin D deficient and don't even know it.  You can get Dry D3 from vitalady.com D3-5 - 5,000unit capsules.

Vitamin B1 - 100mg daily.

Most Active