pre surgery liquid diet

Price S.
on 5/31/10 10:57 am - Mills River, NC
My Dr group requires a 4 week optifast diet, 5 shakes a day plus 1 small protein and veggie meal.  I haven't seen anyone else who has such a long, restrictive pre-op diet.  I realize all Drs are different, but this seems extreme.  Not like I have a choice, they are the only group my insurance pays for within a 2 hr drive.
hopethishelp
on 5/31/10 7:09 pm
Hello, what are the ingredient that the doctor suggest for the shakes? I would like to know if you don't mind sharing?

Thank you
JM
MzKarma
on 6/10/10 1:20 am - Stone Mountain, GA
optifast is a brand of shake..you can look it up online www.optifast.com there is also a medifast ...I used that one before ...they really work good but hard to maintain that eating style with regular stomach for a long time unless you have will power..but when i did the medifast i lost an average of 15-20 lbs a month

HW 283/SW 260/ GL 160
Price S.
on 6/14/10 11:24 am - Mills River, NC
The shakes are the optifast you buy, either premixed or you add to water.  You can mix crystal light with them but no fruit or anything.  4 weeks is just a long time.
shawn73
on 6/23/10 5:01 am - Canada
I got 3 weeks of 4 optifast shakes a day. The only other I can have is SF jello, and chicken broth. 9 Days down, 12 more to go.
Price S.
on 6/24/10 11:20 am - Mills River, NC
your per-diet is even worse than mine, so I guess I won't whine.  Actually, I wish I was to that point in time right now.  The wait seems to go on and on.
2novemberboys
on 10/3/10 7:28 am
Right now my preop diet includes 2 protein shakes a day and a small to moderate protein/veg dinner. I can have SF jello and crystal lite. I can also add a bit of fruit to my shakes if I want. I have to do this four at least four weeks. I feel your pain, but just keep telling myself it will be so worth it in the end!
Price S.
on 10/3/10 10:01 am - Mills River, NC
And it is.  I am 3 weeks out from surgery now and doing great.  You will be fine also.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

nursemeems
on 11/26/10 11:03 am - Richland, WA
My Dr requires a 2 week pre-op liquid diet, but I have had to lose at least 5% of my body weight before I could even see the surgeon.  I think 2 weeks is about the average though.  4 weeks seems awfully intense!  I am allowed 5-6 protein shakes a day as much sf jello , f popsicles and broth as I want as long as I don't exceed 1000 cal. I have 9 days left of this, then a clear liquid only diet for the day before surgery.  Thanksgiving was difficult but am hoping for the"I don't even feel hungry" for Christmas as I will be about 3 weeks post op.  I am trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel!  Good Luck to ALL
MaryAnne
Price S.
on 11/26/10 7:54 pm - Mills River, NC
I will say that the 4 week Optifast gave me a good start on surgery.  I had no complications and have had pretty steady improvement and losses.  I realise even more part of what they were looking for was compliance.  It is so important to staying healthy AFTER surgery.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active