What do you eat?

SailorsBelle
on 5/21/10 3:08 am
I am 2 and a half months post op, and hardly eat anything besides my 2 protein shakes a day. I love not being hungry, but I have been on the “normal diet" since 6 weeks out, and still haven’t started eating “normal". I can hardly tolerate chicken, unless it is super moist and I do not eat beef. I feel so lost as to what to eat, I want to start planning my meals and cooking.

Sooo, what do you eat?

Happy Friday! 

Tammy

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/10 8:48 am
i find dark chicken goes down way easier then white meat, might wanna try that. also i need it to be moist too one thing i will do and its so yummy is i take campbells light gumbo soup put chicken thigh in tiny pieces i had pre boiled (makes chicken moister when cooked that way) and put it in soup then eat the chicken and veg in it and leave the rice and most of the liquid but i get the yummy flavor and its really moist. you can do this with any soup really. i also have boiled chicken cut up in a container and eat it with sf spaghetti sauce or light bbq sauce or add it to anything i eat really but its already made and ready. i take my regular recipes and alter them to be wls friendly w/ low fat changes, sf changes, etc. i also look online for recipes and they have cook books just for us out there. i hate eating now but i know its a neccessity and we should be getting our nutrition from actual food not shakes so i just make myself eat my 3 meals a day 4 hours between and if i want a snack but the snack is always a protein one like beef jerky, nuts, etc. hope i helped some and hope you find some recipes you like =)
southernbelle52
on 5/23/10 4:35 am - Jacksonville, AL
Yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese, tuna, refried beans, chili, soft scrambled eggs (chew really well I had lots of trouble with these for a long long long time). Anything that is on your eating plan. These are just some of the things that I ate early out.
 vickie

Granny57
on 5/28/10 11:39 pm - Virginia Beach, VA
My advice would be to continue as your are.  Add "normal"  foods very slowly and in very small amounts.  My first 6 months or so chicken, shrimp, pork made me feel overfull, sometimes produced vomiting.

If I had it to do over I would go much more slowly to avoid feelings of overfullness and discomfort.  You will eventually begin to tolerate more and more foods.  Shrimp is now very good with me, chicken, still not a given everytime.

Plan healthy meals for you family and allow yourself very small "samples" of the protein but keep relying on the shakes to get the full requiremnt of protein.

If there comes a time when the shakes don't satisfy you you could then try more protein.

My Md told me around 2 months out to start eating normal and give up the shakes.  I think, looking back on this, that I would have been more comfortable to continue with the shakes longer. 

When I ate meat, chicken, shrimp early out I was uncomfortable.  Prior to WLS I would eat to the point of hurting.  The feeling I got when I started eating "normal" reminded me of this.  I guess I am weird, but when I eat to the point I am uncomfortable I just want to eat more.  I feel better when I am less full.  So I would recommend staying with the shakes and going very slowly toward normal foods.

Most Active