So...I'm a little strange but....

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/10 9:48 pm
would it be gross to put protein powder in my coffee instead of creamer? Or will it be okay? I haven't had surgery yet. I'm planning ahead for cutting out creamer in my coffee and stuff...and I am a WUSS! I don't have a taste for black coffee....

So coffee and protein powder anyone? Or what do you do to cut the calories?

Thank you all!
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/10 7:15 pm
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Protein powder will clump if you put it in stuff that is too hot, so you might need to play with that - I just wanted to offer that I use unsweetened vanilla Almond Milk, 40 cals for 8 ounces with 2 grams of carbs and maybe 1 gram of fat.

You could make a cold coffee shake with your protein powder, I do that, I also freeze coffee into cubes and use it in the magic bullet for protein shakes. 

Good luck!
GordonGirl
on 5/17/10 3:33 am - SoCal, CA
I have a magic bullet . I put one scoop protein powder, 1/4 cup skim milk, maybe some sugar free caramel or vanilla syrup in the blender and then add it to the coffee. The clumping problem does happen if the coffee is too hot, but stir as I add the protein/milk mix and it works. Very yummy too! It's about 90 cals., but a nutritious 90.
berts4
on 5/20/10 5:59 am - Rock City, IL
I use protein in my coffe and also just make a hot drink out of it. 

The trick is to mix the powder with a little bit of COLD water in the mug or cup first.  Add enough water to make a glue-like consistency.  This "proofs" the protein so that it does not cook when you add the hot liquid. 

The hot liquid should NOT be boiling, but can be close.  If you pour right from the coffee maker, that should be fine.  When I make a hot cocoa I put 16 oz of water in the microwave for 3 minutes.  If it boils, I just add a small amount of cold water to bring the temp down.

It is a skill, but there is no reason you can't enjoy hot beverages made from protein.  I do it once or twice a day!

After surgery you should switch to decaffienated also.

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/10 5:32 pm
I'm not sure how I would survive without caffinated coffee, as I work overnights. :( I guess thats something I should talk to the Doc about, huh?
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/10 1:20 am
VSG on 06/08/09 with
I use muscle milk or one of the other liquid protein drinks instead of creamer - always chocolate. I'm addicted!
Medicfem
on 5/25/10 5:11 am - Corpus Christi, TX
I have a shaker cup in my fridge marked "creamer".
Its Jay Robb vanilla and Soy milk with 4 pumps of unsweeted hazelnut coffee flavoring.
I shake and add as needed. When the protein is well mixed less chance of clumps. It also seems to clump less when made ahead of time.. that is why I got it in the door of my fridge.
Beware the dreaded reflux from coffee, take your antiacid! Also make it a point to have a water chaser when you have a cup so you don't dehydrate! Enjoy!

Penny the Paramedic        
scootermedic
on 6/3/10 5:01 am - Norwich, NY
Here's my "not protein but protein" option--I use 2 tablespoons of fat free powdered milk.  I buy it in the big box, use 1/3 cup with 1 cup of skim milk for what people call "double milk", then add that to carnation instant breakfast and you get a good hit of protein for a creamier drink as well.  

Hope that helps you with an alternative!! 
Scootermedic
A Success!!
RNY  3/24/09
Start Weight / Surg. / Last Dr. Appt. 
  248 (plus) / 234 / 133 (5/9/11)          
Most Active