caloire intake 4 yrs post op...protein and veggies and water...

shannonwyoming
on 5/8/10 12:36 pm - Casper, WY
Hey everyone I am new here and I have a question.  I am 4 yrs post op and am back on track...I am concerned with the amount of calories I should be eating in a day.,.,, I am doing only protein and veggies..no white flour or sugar or fruit.  Should it be 1000,1200,1500???  Went to the surgeon to see about a revision...he said my pouch is still tiny but to eat this way...how many calories of what is acceptable daily...and why is there no fruit?  Ideas?? please give me advice and send me in the right direction .,,

Thanks Everyone
wildroseofky
on 5/10/10 3:28 am - Beauty, KY
Hi Shannon.  I just went to my checkup after missing it for two years.  I am 4 yrs and 8 months out  and gained about 20 pounds. Plus I am having trouble with hypoglycemia and just not feeling well.  I talked with the dietician and she said to stay within 1200 to 1500 hundred calories, no more than 30 grams of carbs a day, no more than 10 grams of carbs at each meal, and 64 grams of protein.  She and the Dr. said I didn't need to eat fruits and veggies.  I disagree with that statement though.  I can't imagine that eating all meat all the time is 100% healthy.  Plus, I keep getting constapated and became aware that I wan't getting any fiber in.  I looked up how much fiber a person  needs each day, 25 grams, and started working on getting close to that and solved the constipation problem. I have been eating a few complex carbs (whole wheat or whole grain bread with extra fiber or oatmeal with added fiber,plus a few low carb, high fiber veggies).  I had been working towards getting back on track for the last year but only just got really serious about it when my blood sugar went haywire.  I have lost back down from 165 to 148 and feeling much better.  I still haven't been able to keep my carbs down to 30.  I have been getting anywhere from 50 to 80 grams a day. My blood sugar is staying up with few drops (only when I eat certain foods)  and my weight is droping about 2 lbs a week so it must be okay for me.   Oh and drink plenty of water.  I have been drinking diet pepsie which the dietician said was okay if I let it go a little flat.  It doesn't bother my pouch but everyone is different. 

Hope this helps.
shannonwyoming
on 5/13/10 1:27 am - Casper, WY
thank you so much...I completely agree...I myself have been consitpated and getting the necessary fiber is so important...benefiber was suggested at every meal.  I can do 30 grams of carbs and I can do 1200 calories...no problem.  I also went to the gym...my bod said WOW what are you doing to me but it was a great accomplishment and now I want to go back.  I want to get more active outside too...the weather permitting of course..it snowed yesterday here in Wyoming...lol  who knew I would move to the twilight zone.  Do you have a facebook I would really like to keep in touch :-)
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/10/10 7:22 am
Hi, how much or how little carbs - only you can determine that.  I would start with 1200 cal - and then go from that.  You do not want to get less than 800 a day.
Initially - fruits may be off limits - since they are full of sugars.  Once you want to maintain - they may be a good addition.
I am marinating now on 1440-1600 cal a day.  Mostly proteins + veggies.  And I skip the starchy veggies.   Also - carbs - I really do no****ch that - but again I am in a maintenance phase.  I make sure any of my meals are more proteins than carbs.  And no meal is just carbs i.e do not have oatmeal, or just fruits or even veggies.  Always proteins first. 
But then again - I am not that physically active (do not have much time - and energy) to exercise.
If you start exercise - you may need to increase your cal based on your activity level. 

FYI: Normally I do not allow myself sweets or any "treats".  To me - it is not worth.  But - I do have weeks when I crave that more - and when I do eat - even not very much of the carby treats - I see my weight start going up.  It takes 1-2 weeks to gain 5 lbs but then 2 x a long to try to loose it.  For what ? 5 min of pleasure? 

check the BOTT group.  It is a great supportive group of "back on track together" group.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active