Dieting help?

Corynne C.
on 4/16/10 3:39 am, edited 4/16/10 3:44 am - Rockville, MD
Hi guys,

Just went to the doctor yesterday for the first time in a while... weighed in at 370. Heaviest I've ever been. Since I can't exercise because of physical disability, he recommended I eat less, even of the good stuff! But besides that, he didn't give me much of a guildline, besides small portions and increased liquid intake (because I have HBP and was put onto a medicine yesterday for it).

So far, I've put a few guidelines in place for myself:

Only each starchy carbs at breakfast.
Replace lunch with a slimfast (or similar- any suggestions?) shake and a piece of fruit.
No eating after 8pm.
No snacking.
No more candy or high-sugar foods/liquids.
Cut out pasta/cheese complete (my two weaknesses).
Watch my sodium intake.

Does anyone else have any tips to share? Any revisions to make? Or foods to try?

I'm allergic to shellfish, chocolate, salad dressing preservatives and soy.

JOJO3147
on 4/16/10 12:26 pm - NY
Hi..I'm not a nutritionist but I would say that you can try what RNYer's diets are like which is basically low carb and under 1,200 calories a day.  if you can keep your calorie intake at 1,200 or less you will lose weight. 

my breakfast is usuallly this:
 egg whites, ham on toasted light english muffin
coffee skim milk n splenda
or yogurt with sprinkled kashi go lean crunch
Oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder
Low carb whole wheat toast with a smear of natural peanut butter

lunch is ..grilled chicken with side salad
turkey n cheese roll ups or some other variation
Ricotta cheese with marinara sauce
stuffed peppers with ground turkey or chicken
Lowfat cottage cheese wtih pineapple (the kind called Axelrod with less sugar content)

to drink I love Powerade Zero, Low carb Fuze, Vitamin Water Zero or just plain water!!

Dinner can be some lean meat with steamed vegetables or any variation of the lunch menu.  Or if you are like me..i like to have breakfast for dinner sometimes!  :)   I hope this helps.
"Live like its your last day on earth, laugh till your tummy hurts and Dance like no one is watching!!!"

rbb825
on 4/18/10 3:24 pm - Suffern, NY

Are you considering WLS? or do you just want to lose the weight through diet?  Here is what I recommend for dieting.  It is the best way to maximize your metabolism, stabilize your blood sugar and decrease your appetite.

Eat 5 to 6 small meals, high protein, low carb and low fat.  Each meal should have some sort of protein.  You shouldn't have more than 1 starchy carb a day.  You can have 2-3 fruits a day plus as many vegetables as you want.  Don't drink calories unless it is one glass of milk a day or preferably protein shakes.

Most Active