RNY AND HAIR LOSS

tipa
on 4/7/10 11:51 am, edited 4/7/10 11:52 am
IS IT TRUE THAT YOU WILL END UP WITH ALOT OF HAIR LOSS AFTER THE RNY??  PLEASE TELL ME YOUR STORIES! THANKS
jlmartin
on 4/7/10 11:02 pm - Random Lake, WI
I had some.  The way I see it, hair loss is a starvation reaction.  After surgery you eat like 400-800 calories and your body will see this as starvation.  Once my calorie intake increased, the hair loss stopped.

I think you could expect a little hair loss from 3 - 9 months out from surgery.
tipa
on 4/8/10 5:08 am
thanks for the reply! it helps
JOJO3147
on 4/16/10 12:09 pm - NY
it happened to me...lots of overall hairloss but not devestating..i had long hair post-op and ended up cutting it short after my surgery.  Couldn't take the clumps everyday.  Eventually your hair will grow back..just keep up a good protein amount daily and of course your vits.  Some people get it worse than others and may need a wig or extentions for a short while...a small trade off for a healthier you! 
"Live like its your last day on earth, laugh till your tummy hurts and Dance like no one is watching!!!"

faw55
on 4/28/10 3:30 am
TOOK MY VITAMINS AND PROTEIN ..BUT DIDN'T DRINK LIKE I SHOULD OF BUT I LOST ALOT OF HAIR THANK GOD I  DIDN'T HAVE THIN HAIR ..BEST ADVISE I WOULD TELL ANYONE TAKE BIOTIN , MASSAGE YOUR HEAD WITH YOUR FINGERTIPS IN CIRCLE MOTION EVERY DAY IT GETS BLOOD TO YOUR HEAD ..USE SHAMPOO FOR THINNING HAIR SALLY'S BEAUTY SUPPLY CARRIES A GENERTIC ONE ..DIDN'T LOSE MY HAIR TILL 4 MONTHS OUT ..PER THE DOCTOR IT SHOULD STOP NOW AND I NOTICED IT HAS SLOWED DOWN
Most Active